Windows 7 Discussion on Windows 7 and operating it on the Dell Mini series.

(#1) Old
Default Permission problems - 02-08-2009, 09:32 PM

Hi everyone. I've searched everywhere and can't seem to find a fix for my problem. I've installed Windows 7 and i'm experiencing 2 problems but neither happen 100% of the time.

Problem 1
If I go to download a file I get an error message saying that " could not be saved, because you cannot change the contents of that folder. Change the folder properties and try again, or try saving in a different location."

Problem 2
If I try to delete a file I get "you'll need to provide administrator permision to delete this file"

If I reboot normally this goes away but it always comes back. Under UAC i'm administrator. I'm just lost here so any help you can provide is greatly appreciated!!
  (#2) Old
Default Re: Permission problems - 02-11-2009, 05:22 PM

I had a similar problem briefly that seemed to happen if I had the download folder open as a download completed. I think either the Firefox devs or the downloadstatusbar dev fixed it in one of their updates because it went away about a week after I installed the Windows 7 beta.
  (#3) Old
Default Re: Permission problems - 02-16-2009, 02:50 PM

try this (i'm typing this from memory..sitting in front of my mac at work so if something doesnt look exactly right, lemme know and i'll repost when i get home)..

right click on the folder (including the contents you wanna modify/delete/etc)

- EDIT -

here you should see two buttons
click on the bottom one (Advanced)
click on the owner tab
click edit
click on your own name (or should be either or)
click OK
(you'll get some pop up window saying that if you wanna make other changes you'll need to blah blah blah)
OK all the way out til you see your folder
repeat first 3 steps (right click folder, props, security)

click on the edit button
in the top window click on your name (or users..whichever shows up)
on the bottom you should see two columns of check boxes
click on the topmost checkbox on the left column (allow, full control)
OK all the way and you should be able to change/delete/add anything you want in that folder now

- /EDIT -

i'm not sure if it's a windows7 bug, but for some reason, this method doesnt apply to folders within folders. so if you have more folders inside, you'll need to repeat for those :/ yeah. it sucks. if someone has a faster way of doing that, please share!
  (#4) Old
Default Re: Permission problems - 03-03-2009, 12:06 PM

Why do you try format you hardisk to fat32 and reformat to ntfs. you'll own all your files

« Gadgets? | I broke sleep mode somehow »