Windows 7 Discussion on Windows 7 and operating it on the Dell Mini series.

(#1) Old
Default Windows 7 Starter edition - 02-04-2009, 06:52 PM

Dailytech reported there will be six editions of windows 7 available. Here is an excerpt of the article:

"The Starter edition is targeted almost exclusively at netbooks and ultra low end computers, as it has a limit of three applications running at the same time. It will only be offered pre-installed by an OEM.

Home Basic, on the other hand, is what most low end computers in developing countries will be using. It lacks the Aero interface, Live Thumbnail Previews, Internet Connection Sharing, and other features, but has no limits on the number of applications. As such, it is not likely to be sold in North America or the European Union."

Yuck! Windows 7 seems to run very well on lower end hardware, I cant believe they crippled it that far for the netbook/ultra low cost computers.

Full article:
  (#2) Old
Default Re: Windows 7 Starter edition - 02-04-2009, 06:54 PM

The Starter Edition is for sale only in certain Asian countries where piracy is rampant. You will likely never see this.

Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#3) Old
Default Re: Windows 7 Starter edition - 02-04-2009, 08:08 PM

I dont think I want to see it at all. According to the article it seems we are most likely to see just the Home premium version and up. I think it would have been interesting to see a version stripped/tailored to the netbook market, but they went a little to far in the crippling.

I have been using windows 7 on my desktop PC which also runs a windows 2008 server converted to workstation type setup. I think windows 7 has alot of potential to correct some of the shortcomings of vista. The converted 2008 workstation works great, but I may go to 7 once its out and everything is good to go.

I haven't given it a try on the Mini yet. My next project is OS X on a mini and I will see how that goes.

« Windows 7 | unnamed white icon? »