Windows 7 Discussion on Windows 7 and operating it on the Dell Mini series.

(#1) Old
Default Adventures in Windows 7 - 01-21-2009, 02:39 AM

I have a Dell XPS M1210 (nvidia ge force go 7400 and 2GB RAM) that was my primary machine till I got my Mini9. It was running Vista just fine for a about 18 months when I started having video driver crashes. Some update somewhere just ruined things. When I got the Mini 9, I formatted the XPS to give Linux a chance. That didn't work- couldn't get drivers to work, so when the public beta of Windows 7 came along, I grabbed a copy and set out to resuscitate my M1210. The first install went well and I loved what I saw, but as I added software, things got buggy, screen freezes, etc. So I nuked it again and started over, doing a restore point between every install. This time, I'm very satisfied. The Dell XPS is fun to use again.

It's zippy, it's smooth and polished. It's intuitive.

I love Windows 7. I can hardly wait to put it on the Mini9.

Things working on my Dell M1210 with Win7, that I plan to install my Mini9 with 64GB Runcore and 2GB RAM

MS Office 2007
Firefox with Google Toolbar
AVAST free version (running with Windows Defender)
Bejeweled 2
Defraggler (won't install on Mini9 of course)

I had to Disable write caching to get better performance. The Windows Experience Index for the HD transfer rate was 2.0 with write cache enabled (default), 5.0 with it disabled. I can feel the difference.

White Mini 9 with 2 GB RAM and 64 GB RunCore SSD running Win7 RC1

« Windows 7 reminder and rant | Synaptic Mouse driver... »