Windows 7 Discussion on Windows 7 and operating it on the Dell Mini series.

(#1) Old
Default Windows 7 Drivers - 01-12-2009, 05:21 AM

Hi there! I was wondering if all you folks that already installed Windows 7 and made it work with all the necessary drivers would be kind enough to post them here, or at least the links to them. I know that they can be found on the manufacturer sites and so on, but wouldn't it be easier for all of us to have them delivered from someone that already has gone trough the hassle? So, if you are king enough...please post your working drivers here. Thank you a million.
  (#2) Old
Default Re: Windows 7 Drivers - 01-12-2009, 12:11 PM

Almost all of it works correctly out of the box. The only drivers I needed to install after the base installation were the JMicron drivers for the card reader (Win7 had support for SD cards right away, but installing the drivers took care of a few Unknown Devices in device manager--I'm guessing it added Memory Stick support). I also installed the Wireless Select Switch, which enabled me to turn on my Bluetooth module so it can be found (Windows found that with no problems once it was actually turned 'on). If you don't have BT you can probably ignore this, since you can enable/disable your wireless card in the Mobility Center module. The only other thing was the Synaptics touchpad driver from the Synaptics site (a lot more configurable than the one from the Dell site).

As for versions, the Synaptics driver was the Vista one. For the JMicron and WLSS I used the Mini9 XP drivers from the Dell site. Some people mentioned using the Vista Mini12 drivers for those, and I tried them for a few moments. As soon as I inserted my SDHC card with the Vista JMicron driver installed I got a BSOD (I disabled automatic rebooting earlier so I could see Blue Screens). I uninstalled that and reinstalled the XP driver and everything's been fine.

Oh, and it doesn't look like the Battery Monitor utility does anything (can't get it to work with FN-3 [Dell has the WLSS/BM downloads mislabeled, you need to download both the old and new versions to get both of them]), which is fine with me since the battery icon in the systray/toolbar/whatever-they're-calling-it-these-days seems to work fine.

Good luck!
  (#3) Old
Default Re: Windows 7 Drivers - 01-12-2009, 03:49 PM

You can get a working version of the WLAN switch by getting the Vista version of Battery Meter/wireless switch from the Mini 12 product list. Other than that and the Synaptics driver, the XP drivers Dell lists for the Mini 9 work. I recommend the Bluetooth and JMicron SD drivers.

Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#4) Old
Retired Mini user
Default Re: Windows 7 Drivers - 01-12-2009, 03:56 PM

Read the other posts, it's been covered.

Getting an iPad

« Official Beta Download Is Up! | Windows 7 on the Mini »