Windows 7 Discussion on Windows 7 and operating it on the Dell Mini series.

(#1) Old
Default Cloning Windows 7 Installation onto a Bootable Flash Drive - 05-30-2010, 06:11 AM

I plan to install OSX on my Mini 9, but I have a 16gb SSD so I will have to wipe Windows 7. However, there are many apps for windows that I often need. I was wondering it is possible copy ALL the files on my C:\\ drive, and copy them to a 16gb flash drive, and somehow make it bootable, so i would make a portable, bootable version of my Windows 7 install. I know that is is possible to make a portable, bootable, clean install of windows 7 that boots off a flash drive, but since my install has a lot of programs and is highly customized, I don't want to have to do a clean install and reinstall all my programs onto the flash drive, and copy back all my data.

I posted a thread that is about a similar topic in the OSX thread, but for the part about the bootable clone, I think the windows 7 forum would be a better place.
UPDATE: This is driving me crazy: I am 100% sure that I saw a guide a while ago on Lifehacker for creating a portable version of Windows 7, yet I can't find it. All the guides for creating portable windows 7 tell you to use VirtualBox Portable, but then I don't think it would be bootable. Then is it possible in ANY way to make a bootable clone of my current windows 7 installation?

Dell Vostro A90
16gb ssd
2gb RAM
BT+ .3 webcam
Windows 7 Ultimate Final
32gb sdhc card (Oh Yeah!)
Logitech VX nano
  (#2) Old
Super Moderator
Send a message via AIM to MoInSTL Send a message via MSN to MoInSTL Send a message via Yahoo to MoInSTL
Default 06-13-2010, 04:56 PM

AFAIK, there is no way to boot 7 off a flash drive.

I was running Windows Ultimate last on a 16GB SSD.

The tool I used was vllite. It is for Vista but worked perfectly for 7.
vLite - Windows Vista configuration tool. I used a different PC, mounted the disk as a virtual drive using the free one from Slysoft. SlySoft Virtual CloneDrive and copied the files.

Go here and read my post, #56 for the .ini file I used in vlite.
Windows 7 On 8GB SSD

Edit: You can make a bootable version of your back-up using ghost. You can also use Acronis True Image. There may be free versions out there as well.

Studio 15 1558| Black Chainlink| i5-520M, |4GB RAM |500 GB HD@7200 |ATI HD 4570, 512K|Backlit|9 Cell|Web Cam|Windows 7 Professional x64
  (#3) Old
Default 06-14-2010, 02:11 AM

Use system backup & restore of Windows 7 to create a disk image of your SSD, then boot from Win 7 Installtion DVD and restore that image to your partition

« Dell Mini 9 W7 Home Premium | Windows 7 32bit - Dell mini 9 - 3G (WWAN) drivers »