Windows 7 Discussion on Windows 7 and operating it on the Dell Mini series.

(#1) Old
Default Windows 7 via USB with OS X only, NO Bootcamp - 02-21-2010, 11:51 PM

mini 1010 with single partition running os x snow leopard.

im trying to put windows 7 on it but i can't seem to get the bootable usb stick working.

ive tried the 'dd if=/ of=/' command method. ive tried to create a master boot record with ntfs and when that didnt work fat32 and just copy over the contents of the iso. also ive tried to put the image on a windows machine and use the windows 7 usb/dvd download tool.

ive done this all through with 2 separate ISOs. with the windows 7 tool it says the iso is invalid, but i expected that. but with the other two methods i get the same exact mesage when i boot from the usb stick:

PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable
PXE-M0F: Exiting PXE ROM.
Operating System not found
I likely won't have any access to a windows computer by the times any replies come in so any solutions involving executables will probably be useless.

also boot camp doesn't seem to be working. it gives me this message when i attempt to start the program:

Boot Camp Assistant cannot be used.
You must update your computer's Boot ROM firmware before using this setup assistant
I assume this is a problem beyond help, but if someone has a fix for it, that'd certainly be a help.

so im looking for a way that i can create a successfully bootable and installable usb pen drive windows 7 with only the tools provided for me by os x, other than boot camp obviously. thanks in advance
  (#2) Old
Default 02-22-2010, 04:53 AM

no you cant use bootcamp some site will tell you that you can but they lie and it will just mess up your netbook. Just use bootcamp to back it up then reinstall it and instead of having 1 partitions make 2 partitions then fallow one of the guilds to make it dual boot.
Hope that helps

« Windows 7 wireless / bt issue | Win7 extremely slow (Mini 10) »