Windows 7 Discussion on Windows 7 and operating it on the Dell Mini series.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  (#1) Old

Default Dell Webcam Central on Mini 9 - FIXED! - 12-26-2009, 09:44 PM

I've spent most of the day trying to find a copy of this software that works on my Mini 9 which I've just upgraded to Windows 7. After trying numerous downloads and both the native and Creative webcam drivers I've found a combination that works...

First, I downloaded and installed the Creative Labs driver (R195927.exe) for the Mini 12 / Vista from Dell. Then I downloaded the webcam patch for Webcam Central from http://ftp.us.dell.com/app/DellWebcamSW.exe "Patch for DWC 1.01.04. To support cameras before Nov.08". This file won't work if you run it as it's a patch (it will fail stating that Webcam Central isn't installed). BUT if you UNZIP it, it creates a "DWCentral" folder with the full installation files for V1.01.04. Run SETUP.EXE from here and it installs fine.

No more messages about having to install the correct drivers...

Hope this helps

Irvin
  (#2) Old

Default 01-13-2010, 03:16 PM

Excellent tip, Irvin. It worked just fine. Thanks!
  (#3) Old

Default unzip a exe file??? - 01-16-2010, 11:34 PM

I'm trying to follow your instructions, but I have no idea how to unzip the exe file that you referenced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvin View Post
I've spent most of the day trying to find a copy of this software that works on my Mini 9 which I've just upgraded to Windows 7. After trying numerous downloads and both the native and Creative webcam drivers I've found a combination that works...

First, I downloaded and installed the Creative Labs driver (R195927.exe) for the Mini 12 / Vista from Dell. Then I downloaded the webcam patch for Webcam Central from http://ftp.us.dell.com/app/DellWebcamSW.exe "Patch for DWC 1.01.04. To support cameras before Nov.08". This file won't work if you run it as it's a patch (it will fail stating that Webcam Central ins't installed). BUT if you UNZIP it, it creates a "DWCentral" folder with the full installation files for V1.01.04. Run SETUP.EXE from here and it installs fine.

Hope this helps

Irvin
  (#4) Old

Default 01-16-2010, 11:55 PM

Hi Akplastic,

Assuming you have WinZip installed, instead of double-clicking on DellWebcamSW.exe, do a right-click on it, select "WinZip" from the pop-up menu the select "Extract to .." or whatever option suits you. I imagine that any zip-compatible compression program will allow you to do the same. It's just a ZIP file packaged into a EXE file; double clicking just extracts the folders & files and runs the setup program on the fly which you don't want.

Hope this helps

Irvin
  (#5) Old

Default webcam central - 01-17-2010, 06:06 PM

Irwin,
Works just as you described. Do you have a way to install the updated program that has all the nice little tweaks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvin View Post

First, I downloaded and installed the Creative Labs driver (R195927.exe) for the Mini 12 / Vista from Dell. Then I downloaded the webcam patch for Webcam Central from http://ftp.us.dell.com/app/DellWebcamSW.exe "Patch for DWC 1.01.04. To support cameras before Nov.08". This file won't work if you run it as it's a patch (it will fail stating that Webcam Central isn't installed). BUT if you UNZIP it, it creates a "DWCentral" folder with the full installation files for V1.01.04. Run SETUP.EXE from here and it installs fine.

Hope this helps

Irvin
  (#6) Old

Default 01-18-2010, 02:57 PM

Hi Akplastic,

As I mentioned, I have tried numerous combinations of Webcam Central versions and Creative / native Windoiws 7 drivers along with Webcam Manager and Webcam Center and none of these have worked. The last one I tried was:

http://ftp.us.dell.com/app/R168730.EXE

This came back with the usual "no webcam installed" error.

This version does what I need; I just wanted to be able to access the camera without using Messanger etc.

If you find a more up-to-date version that works let me know!

CU

Irvin
  (#7) Old

Default 02-02-2010, 07:22 AM

Thank you very much this worked like a charm!
now i use dell webcam central to take my pictures and video
i uninstalled dell webcam center.
thank you very much seriously.
  (#8) Old

Default It's not working for me - 03-03-2010, 05:29 PM

Hi I did what you said. Dell webcam central was installed but when I launch it, it says "please plug in a supported webcam" (original message is in french since this is my Win 7 language).

Any idea ?

Thanks.
  (#9) Old

Default 03-07-2010, 02:47 AM

OMG IRVIN! My hats off to you sir as you are a true gentleman and a scholar!! You have accomplished what I spent many countless hours attempting. I bow to your greatness.

Translation: HOLY CRAP IT WORKED!!!
  (#10) Old
Super Moderator

Default 03-07-2010, 05:36 PM

Did not work for me - same problem as araignee.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 8.1

« Local File Hosts | Latest Mini 9 Win 7 drivers »