Windows 7 Discussion on Windows 7 and operating it on the Dell Mini series.

(#1) Old
Default Aero Sacrifices - 11-30-2009, 07:31 PM

I suspect that Aero negatively affects aspects of the 10v such as battery life, heat, and general performance. Has anyone done benchmarks to gather any figures on this?
  (#2) Old
Retired Mini user
Default 11-30-2009, 07:44 PM

If it does, it's not bad enough in any particular category for me to turn it off.

Getting an iPad
  (#3) Old
Default 11-30-2009, 07:46 PM

If you enable the "Power Saver" power configuration, Windows will automatically switch to the "Basic" theme on battery power and this will extend battery life. I don't find that Aero, on its own, contributes much to heat.

Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#4) Old
Default 12-01-2009, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by Zathu View Post
I suspect that Aero negatively affects aspects of the 10v such as battery life, heat, and general performance. Has anyone done benchmarks to gather any figures on this?
I'm only using a Dell Mini 9 with Aero, but it performs handily for me. I have given up on benchmarking everything I touch because if a system is subjectively "OK" for me that is good enough (must be old age settling in). To explain my point of view, here are the WEI scores (ok - stop laughing, I know how limited/useless WEI is):

Processor 2.2
Memory 4.3
Graphics (Aero) 2.2
Graphics (Gaming) 3.0
HD 5.8

Still, the Aero interface runs just as well as on my higher end HP Elitebook and Lenovo x61s. In fact, because this has a 128gb Super Talent SSD, it runs circles around those other systems on software loading, etc.

So, subjective is good enough to me. Does Win 7 use a little smoke and mirrors (process rearrangement/loading/scheduling tricks) which make it "seem" faster than Vista or XP - probably so - do I care - YES because it makes the system more responsive to me, so I like it. Hardware and software vendors have "gamed" benchmarks for so long, I just don't care for which one is "blazingly faster" than another - I just want to see how Word or the browser perform.

Dell Mini 9/2gb/128gb ST/Win7 Speed Demon
  (#5) Old
Default 12-02-2009, 11:39 AM

I turned off quite alot of the Aero effects because

A) I dont like them...they look tacky...and trasparency is distracting. i prefer the OSX aqua "theme"

B) Any little bit of extra performance i can squeeze out of it is good

I turned off the transparency, made the window "padding" smaller, turned off the minimize animations and turned off the drop shadows for icons on the desktop. I think i turned off something else too but cant remember.
  (#6) Old
Default 12-07-2009, 05:26 PM

I've been using Aero for a few days now, and I haven't noticed any lagging or whatnot. It's actually pretty nice; the entire Windows 7 experience reminds me of the OS X install that I love.

Macbook (April 2008) | Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz | 4 GB RAM | 250 GB 5400rpm HD | OS X 10.7.3

Dell Mini 10v (August 2009) | Intel Atom N270 1.6 GHz | 2 GB RAM | 120 GB 5400rpm HD | OS X 10.6.8 (borked) / Windows 8 Consumer Preview

GA-X58-USB3 (January 2011) | Intel i7-950 3.2 GHz (OC'd) | 6 GB RAM | 1 TB 7200rpm HD / 120 GB 5400rpm HD | Windows 7 Ultimate / Windows 8 Consumer Preview / OS X 10.7.2
  (#7) Old
Send a message via Skype™ to Dunhamzzz
Default 12-08-2009, 09:49 AM

Aero worked fine for me on my Mini 9 so I kept it running, however on my 10/12 it was a bit laggy and unappealing so I switched to basic.

That power saver seems like a good idea, switching to down to basic when on battery.

Please do not send me support requests via PM.

« Anti-malware for Win 7 help needed | Should I install W7 on my mini 10v? Hows it run? »