Windows 7 Discussion on Windows 7 and operating it on the Dell Mini series.

(#1) Old
Default Mini 10v - Windows 7 - Physical memory Issue - 11-28-2009, 08:25 AM

For the last few days, I've noticed that my 2 10v's (with identical builds) have been acting funny. It seems that windows 7 does not want to release memory. Normally I hang out at around 40% physical memory. Recently however, it shoots up and never goes down. I eventually have to restart..Something I have never had to do in the past.

I check the processes using various tools and there is nothing out of the ordinary. there is on SVCHOST that takes almost 30,000K. Ive tried to knock down all the unnecessary services but I cant find the culprit.
The number never seems to go down even after I close all the programs.

The only thing that I have added was the newest Wireless Drive from Dell ( Im about to remove it and see how it goes.

I was curious if anyone else is seeing this behavior.
  (#2) Old
Super Moderator
Default 12-02-2009, 05:49 PM

I presume that you are running the final release version of Windows 7, as I believe that some of the pre-release versions suffered from similar problems.

I wouldn't have thought that the Wireless card Driver would have that effect, but will be interested to hear how you get on.

Hopefully you will receive some other feedback also!

Mini 10v - Product (RED) - BIOS A06 - Ubuntu 11.04 - 2GB RAM - 60 GB OCZ Vertex SSD - Bluetooth - Intel 6205 Wi-Fi - WWAN
  (#3) Old
Default 12-03-2009, 06:00 PM

Yup..I'm on the Final Version of Home Premium.

So far, I have removed the newest Dell Wireless Driver (I use the Revo Uninstaller).
Since the uninstall, it automatically defaulted to the Dell Wireless 1397 WLAN Mini Card (10/1/2008)

The memory has been hovering normally (between 25-37%). Of course this fluctuates as I use programs but it does not climb to 100% and then crash out.

Odd..maybe I'll put the driver back on one of the machine and really benchmark it
  (#4) Old
Send a message via AIM to DVelasco68 Send a message via MSN to DVelasco68 Send a message via Yahoo to DVelasco68
Default 12-04-2009, 12:46 AM

I believe it has to do with the super fetch... it allocates alot (almost 50%) to this cache...

Dell mini 10v, 2GB Memory, N280 1.66Mhz, 1.3Mp Camera, 56WHr Lithium-Ion Battery (6-cell) Two HD's - 1st -Windows 7(120GB) & 2nd-OS X 10.6.6(16GB SSD) - (soon to be dual boot)
  (#5) Old
Super Moderator
Send a message via AIM to MoInSTL Send a message via MSN to MoInSTL Send a message via Yahoo to MoInSTL
Default 12-04-2009, 06:06 PM

May want to check out

He can be extreme in what services he turns off but he also has a "safe" list. In any case, he does provide good explanations on why or why not to turn services off or on.

FWIW, I am still running the RTM and my memory is at 29% and a whopping 42 services which includes Acronis & AV.

Edit: One of my svhost entry is near 30k as well.

Studio 15 1558| Black Chainlink| i5-520M, |4GB RAM |500 GB HD@7200 |ATI HD 4570, 512K|Backlit|9 Cell|Web Cam|Windows 7 Professional x64

« Install Windows 7 Without DVD AND USB drive? | My Windows Experience Index after installing Windows 7 (pic) »