Windows 7 Discussion on Windows 7 and operating it on the Dell Mini series.

(#1) Old
Default Windows 7 upgrade key, clean install, vlite - 11-28-2009, 03:42 AM

I've purchased the 30$ student discounted Windows 7 Pro upgrade ( I'm on a mini 9 and installing with an external dvd.

I'm trying to get a vlited copy up and running but when I try and vlite the iso I got from digitalriver 'x15-65804.iso' I can't get it to install. It boots but it won't get past the first few screens of the install.

So I download the x86 ultimate version ISO off the net and have been trying to use that, but when I try to enter my key I am getting a message saying wrong SKU. When I vlite the ultimate ISO I choose Windows 7 professional, which I thought was a valid way of installing pro.

Has anyone gotten the windows 7 pro upgrade version vlited and installed properly?
Attached Files
File Type: zip Last (1.7 KB, 7 views)
  (#2) Old
Default 11-28-2009, 04:48 PM

As I understand it, Microsoft decided to make each edition of W7 "fixed" as to the edition. They said they did this to be less confusing, but it does prevent you from activating a different edition than the one you installed. There's a file in the unpacked ISO which, if you delete, will allow you to activate any edition. I forget the details, but I recall we discussed it here during the beta.

I'm not a fan of Vlite - it seems to cause many people problems. Can you install the full version as a test?

Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#3) Old
Default 11-28-2009, 11:56 PM

Yes the full version of the upgrade iso installs fine. It's just way too big. on 8GB SSD it leaves me with 500MB Free even after turning off paging.

BTW I had the Win7 RC installed with vlite no problem and it took only 5 gigs.
  (#4) Old
Default 12-24-2009, 10:06 PM

it is ef.cgi i belive, delete that and all the ptions become availble

Sharing is Caring!

« Dell Battery Meter (btmeter.exe) | Utility to Change Wallpaper in Win7 Starter »