Windows 7 Discussion on Windows 7 and operating it on the Dell Mini series.

(#1) Old
Unhappy Windows 7 installs successfully, won't reboot after restart - 11-19-2009, 02:28 AM

So I bought Windows 7 Pro 32 x86 online through MSDN and it came as a downloaded ISO. I used the Windows 7 USB/DVD maker to create a bootable USB stick and happily installed windows 7 on my Vostro. From what I understand, it's a different-cased Mini 9. Anyway, the install worked fine, and I was even able to use Windows 7 for a few hours, and everything was great. Problem is I turned it off to go to bed, and the next day it wouldn't start. It went right to a BSoD that was so quick I couldn't read it.

I then re-installed, made sure once it was up i downloaded and updated all the drivers, and again the same thing happened when I restarted.

So then I followed a few different guides from this site to get the ISO on my usb stick and install. Everytime I get the whole install done, and I can effectively use the computer forever as long as I never turn it off.

When I try to boot, it takes me to the Windows Startup Repair tool, which doesn't find any problems. The best suggestion it has for me is to remove a recently plugged in camera or storage device, which I dont have anything plugged in. The bluescreen doesn't come up, just this useless utility. I can get to a command prompt and therefore the registry etc. with my usb stick, but I don't know what to change. Has anyone seen this or have any suggestions of what I can do

Also, the bluescreen seems to be gone, im just stuck in this endless Windows Startup Repair loop....but the one time it was slow enough for me to read, i managed to get STOP: 0xc0000001 {Fatal System Error}
  (#2) Old
Super Moderator
Send a message via AIM to rrfranczak3 Send a message via MSN to rrfranczak3 Send a message via Yahoo to rrfranczak3
Default 11-19-2009, 02:59 AM

check this it might help ya

What happened to the boot.ini file?

Good Luck..

Dell Mini 10 (Obsidian Black 1010), 2gb RAM, 1.66ghz 533mhz FSB (Z530) processor, A10 BIOS, 1 Terabyte (1000 GB) WD Scorpio Blue Hard Drive (5400rpm), Intel GMA 500 Integrated Graphics, TV Tuner, Bluetooth 2.1 module with EDR, 1.3mp Camera, 1366x768 HD Screen, Wireless 1510 b/g/n mini card, 6 cell (56WHr) Battery, 4gb SDHC, 64gb Flashdrive, Targus Netbook Chillpad, Targus Sport Case, Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (500gb)/Windows 8.1 (500gb) (Dual Boot)

iPad 4 (64gb) w/Retina,Targus Versavu Case
  (#3) Old
Default 11-19-2009, 01:43 PM

Thanks. I messed around with it a bit, but I'm still kinda lost. This is what I get when I run bcdedit, does it matter that the two are in different partitions? That's the way the Windows 7 Installer set it up for me, I believe, C:\ is a 100MB partition and d:\ is the rest of my SSD.
Windows Boot Manager
identifier                        {bootmgr}
device                            partition=C:
description                     Windows Boot Manager
locale                             en-US
inherit                            {globalsettings}
default                           {default}
resumeobject                 {a637d695-d48e-11de-b280-b9dc5506fe1e}
displayorder                   {default}
toolsdisplayorder            {memdiag}
timeout                          30

Windows Boot Loader
identifier                         {default}
device                            partition=D:
path                               \Windows\system32\winload.exe
description                      Windows 7
locale                             en-US
inherit                            {bootloadersettings}
recoverysequence           {a637d697-d48e-11de-b280-b9dc5506fe1e}
recoveryenabled             Yes
osdevice                         partition=D:
systemroot                      \Windows
resumeobject                  {a637d695-d48e-11de-b280-b9dc5506fe1e}
nx                                  OptIn
  (#4) Old
Super Moderator
Send a message via AIM to MoInSTL Send a message via MSN to MoInSTL Send a message via Yahoo to MoInSTL
Default 11-19-2009, 07:28 PM

The 100MB hidden system partition is for recovery. I can't recall if it was given a drive letter (I don't think it was) but 7 needs to be installed on your C drive.

Studio 15 1558| Black Chainlink| i5-520M, |4GB RAM |500 GB HD@7200 |ATI HD 4570, 512K|Backlit|9 Cell|Web Cam|Windows 7 Professional x64

bluescreen, installation, restart, startup, windows 7

« Installing Win 7 HP on different computer? | Office 2010 Beta Error »