Windows 7 Discussion on Windows 7 and operating it on the Dell Mini series.

(#1) Old
Default About to make the jump on my Mini 9 from OS X 10.6.1 to Windows 7 - 11-15-2009, 04:37 PM

I'm currently setting up the boot drive for my V-Lited Windows 7 Ultimate disc. I am running OS X 10.6.1 on my Dell Mini 9 with on an 8 GB SSD. Do I have to format the SSD before I install? Anything else I should do? Thanks!

Dell Mini 10v, Alpine White, 1.6 GHz Intel Atom, 160GB HDD, 1 GB RAM, Shipping w/ XP then Dual-Booting Windows 7 Ultimate & SL, BT, 6 Cell Battery
Dell Mini 9, Obsidian Black, 1.6 GHz Intel Atom, 8GB SSD, 1 GB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate, No BT, 3 Cell Battery

(#2) Old
Super Moderator
Send a message via AIM to MoInSTL Send a message via MSN to MoInSTL Send a message via Yahoo to MoInSTL
Default 11-15-2009, 09:03 PM

You have the option to format it during the install when you see your disk listed.

Just keep an eye on the progress towards the end so when it reboots it won't start your install again. Also, be patient. It takes awhile. You may want to grab the drivers ahead of time.

Good luck!

Studio 15 1558| Black Chainlink| i5-520M, |4GB RAM |500 GB HD@7200 |ATI HD 4570, 512K|Backlit|9 Cell|Web Cam|Windows 7 Professional x64
  (#3) Old
Default 11-15-2009, 09:09 PM

i upgraded from mac 10.5.8 on my mini 10v, to windows 7 just a couple days ago.

an 8gb ssd is pretty small, and you will have to see if windows 7 will allow it to install. If not, you may need to upgrade to a 16gb ssd.

i used a copied disk of windows 7 on an external cd/dvd drive, but if you do not have one, I am sure you can find a guide on how to install from a usb drive.

during the install, you get the settings on where to install windows 7, and I do not think it will let you choose the recommended install because the ssd is formatted to mac os x journaled (you would not want to use the recommended install anyway). so you choose the custom install, and it brings you to all of your hard drives partitions. all you have to do is delete all of the partitions you can, and there should be only one partition left (that you cant delete). so you set up a new partition, and after it formats the ssd, a message will pop up saying something like "the setup will create an alternate partition for windows files" you get two partitions after creating a new one (one for main installations, and one for windows files).

so you continue on with the installation, and install windows 7. activate it, install updates, and then install the drivers. All of the drivers you need can be found at the dell website. just go to dell support, and you will find a section for dell drivers, where you can find a ton of drivers for your computer.

i had alot of trouble activating mine using hazar's activator which came with my windows 7 download, so i uninstalled the activator, and tried daz's activator. That one worked great, and my copy is activated for good
  (#4) Old
Default 11-16-2009, 02:38 AM

So, KrazyKuul, you're admitting you're pirating software?

Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10

« Microsoft tool for installing Windows 7 from USB drive | Parental Control Blocks Internet Checkers, Can't Find Parental Control on SSD »