Windows 7 Discussion on Windows 7 and operating it on the Dell Mini series.

(#1) Old
Default increase linux partition on dual boot with windows 7 - 11-11-2009, 12:17 PM

As a newbie I would like some help on repartitioning my dual boot windows 7 / linux ubuntu 9;04 mini 10
I just want to increase the size of the linux partition without upsetting windows as it is soon filled when downloading
Can this be done easily using the live disc and g parted or please give further advice
  (#2) Old
Default 11-11-2009, 01:42 PM

Before embarking on partition resizing, how much free/used space does Linux have? You may be able to free up space.

One thing which may help is: try running "du -sh /var/cache/apt/archives" in a terminal to find out how much space is being wasted by cached software installers. Run "sudo apt-get clean" to recover the space. On a system that's had alot of software installed/upgraded, hundreds of MB can be wasted.

But if partition sizing seems inevitable...

I'm guessing you installed Windows first, probably in a single partition at the beginning of the drive. And Linux is at the end of the drive, with two partitions, a system partition and a swap partition. Right?

To give some Windows space to Linux, first, be aware that any partition and filesystem resizing is inherently risky. I wouldn't want to do it without a backup available.

Start by shrinking the Windows partition (by however much space you need) from Windows (let Windows handle it's own partition). Then from a LiveCD/USB with GParted, you can move and grow the Linux partition into the free space. This'll break the GRUB bootloader, because it relies on exact locations on disk. But the instructions I linked to show how to fix it.

Good luck.

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit

« Windows 7 Retail Unmodified ISO + 8GB SSD = POSSIBLE! | My vLite Settings Posted »