Windows 7 Discussion on Windows 7 and operating it on the Dell Mini series.

(#21) Old
Default A more capable GMA950 driver - 02-04-2010, 06:39 PM

There is an alternative Windows 7 driver for the Intel GMA 950 that has been discovered that allow setting a scaled virtual resolution greater that the screen resolution. It seems to be a signed Intel driver and it supports resolutions of 800x600, 1024x600, 1024x768 and 1182x864.

The version number of the driver is: It is a slight regression from the latest Windows 9 driver available through Windows Update, but it doesn't seem to make any difference. I discovered it in the following article at Liliputing:

Driver update kind of brings higher resolutions to netbooks higher resolution

The download link for the driver one of those shortened URLs "" and is part way down the page near the bottom of the article. It may be worth updating the first post in this thread with the updated information. It may also be worth finding a more permanent home for the driver download in case the existing link goes away. The above link actually redirects to a download from the Samsung website:

Download File

I only have a small amount of time with it on my Mini 9 so far. It seems to work well with the the main side effect being a somewhat squished look to the screen. It should be good enough for general use and is very helpful when you need to reach a button that is just off the bottom of the screen or when an installer is being overly restrictive. It should also work just fine on a Mini 10v.

---------- Post added at 01:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:29 PM ----------

I just found a post in another part of this this forum ("Dell Mini 10v Discussion") discussing the same driver:

(#22) Old
Default 02-15-2010, 04:28 PM

I find that the GMA driver listed has trouble with flash video in Chrome & Firefox (e.g. Youtube). This is also true for all of the other driver updates I have tried. The only solid performer for me has been the default driver installed by W7 (
  (#23) Old
Default 06-12-2010, 02:30 AM

Originally Posted by minidyker View Post
I spoke too soon. This was a clean install of Win 7 and now I'm getting "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered" occasionally (when coming out of a screen saver or standby or something like that).
I had this problem even with the latest Intel drivers released 10/2009 (15.​12.​75.​4.​1930)

Anytime the screen turns OFF as it goes through the power plan options as opposed to Sleep or Hibernate.

After a few hours of searching I ran across this:

Problem is the key doesn't exist. You will have to add it.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\GraphicsDrivers]

The default with no key is 2 seconds. In the example above I've changed it to 5 seconds.

I used to be able crash the GPU on command with the default 2 second value. After changing it hasn't crashed yet. My assumption is that the Atom in the Mini 9 is just much slower than Windows 7 expects from a modern computer.

Hope this helps.
  (#24) Old
Default 06-29-2010, 05:37 PM

There is a new SD reader driver available on the JMicron site that was released on 5/13/2010 for the 38x series. I'm installing to test it now and will provide feedback.

---------- Post added at 01:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:48 PM ----------

The version 43 of the JMicron driver (linked in my post above) works well on my Mini 9 with Windows 7 Ultimate, patched current. It correctly updated the devices to eliminate unknown other devices, and consistently reads new inserts, ejects properly, and offers good read/write speeds. I think it's a keeper
  (#25) Old
Default 12-23-2010, 05:05 AM

Btw, the jmicron drivers are now up to 1.00.50 from 10/26/10. Oddly enough, the post date for 1.00.49 is the exact same. Eh, oh well. I'll try it out after getting win 7 installed and post results.

And I haven't confirmed it, but it looks like there's a newer gma 950 driver from intel ( released on 10/2/2009.

Same thing with the INF driver on 12/22/2009
  (#26) Old
Default 12-23-2010, 05:12 PM

The GMA950 driver does not list 945GSE as a covered chipset.

Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#27) Old
Default 12-24-2010, 05:12 PM

I was trying to find the driver to see how it's listed vs this one, but I couldn't find older versions very easily. I'll try again later though.

Though when sorting the drivers, it just lists this one as compatible with the 945 "family" so I'll still try it out once I get back from the holidays and get 7lite working.
  (#28) Old
Default 01-12-2011, 12:33 AM

Although the GMA drivers are compatible with the 945GSE, it does not have the extended resolutions available. So I'm going to stick with for the time being.

Since there are so many different drivers from different models and versions out there, I'm thinking about making a new thread with all the current drivers and a few tips that I've picked up along the way.
  (#29) Old
Talking 01-28-2011, 09:45 PM

Today, I finally finished putting Windows 7 Pro back on my alternate Mini 9. (I am finally taking my refresher course in Computers, which is unfortunately very Windows-based.)

Here's what I used at the time of this post:

INF Update Utility - Primarily for IntelĀ® 6, 5, 4, 3, 900 Series Chipsets

Page says latest version is, but the version # on my files is with a date of 8/5/2009.

Mobile Intel 945 Express Chipset Family
(via Windows Update, with date of 9/23/2009 in Device Manager)

Please note: I did NOT try the IntelĀ® Graphics Media Accelerator Driver for Windows* 7(exe) from the original post.

Realtek Ethernet: also installed via Windows Update, Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller); then got latest driver from Realtek under the tabs: Communications Network ICs---> Network Interface Controllers---> 10/100/1000M Gigabit Ethernet---> PCI Express---> Software ... used Win7 and WinServer 2008 R2 Auto Installation Program (5604k, dated 1/24/2011)

driver version in Device Manager: 7.37.1229.2010, dated 12/29/2010

Realtek HD Audio: got latest driver from Realtek under the tabs: Computer Peripheral ICs---> PC Audio Codecs---> High Definition Audio Codecs---> Software (checking the box & clicking next)

Vista, Windows 7 Driver (32/64 bits) Driver only (Executable file), R2.57, 1/28/2011, 83564k

driver version in Device Manager: (1/25/2011)

Broadcom Wireless 802.11g: also installed via Windows Update

driver version in Device Manager: (10/1/2008)

Synaptics Touchpad: Drivers | Synaptics

got Windows XP/Vista and Win7 32-bit Edition v15.2.7

driver version in Device Manager: (12/22/2010)

JMicron Card Reader:
got the latest driver:, 1158kb, 1/12/2011

Dell Applications: Drivers & Downloads (Support Page for Dell Mini 10, specifically the 1018)

Battery Meter Application

Optional: Caps Lock Application, Function Keys Application, Wireless Enable/Disable Application

FloatLED: (v1.07, 10/10/10)

Integrated Camera: Drivers & Downloads (Support Page for Mini 12)

Under Input Device Drivers: Creative Labs Driver

Dell WebCam Central (if you want it): As per the 2nd post by Pwilly at Dell Webcam Central & Windows 7 (The Windows 7 Version Of The Dell Webcam Central Program) - Microsoft OS Forum - Software & Operating Systems - Dell Community

Get the download from:

Drivers and Downloads

(I haven't gone through all the features, but it worked as far as I could see.)

Bluetooth & WWAN: I don't have those on my Mini, so I can't help you there.

============Learning Devices============

(#30) Old
Default 02-01-2011, 02:08 AM

@ Qagak, instead of float LED, you might check out TrayStatus

Binary Fortress Software ~ TrayStatus

its free, super small and light, and unlike floatLED, it actually stays active in the tray, and has other cool stuff like numlock notification etc etc

and of course its free

« Dell Webcam Central on Mini 9 - FIXED! | Cannot Activate Media Streaming »