I installed the RTM of Windows 7 Home Premium on my 10v without activation. I now have my keys and tried to activate but get an error message claiming my key won't work with a clean installation, only an upgrade. Microsoft tech assistance claimed I just need to reinstall Windows 7 as an upgrade over Windows 7 then it will allow me to use my keys. Unfortunately due to the size of the SSD
on my 10v I don't have enough room for the upgrade. After some time with MS tech support they provided me with a solution that worked. I hope it can help someone else.
1) Open regedit.
2) Backup your registry.
3) Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Setup\OOBE
4) Change the key "MediaBootInstall" to "0".
5) Open a command prompt as administrator.
6) Type in "cscript.exe slmgr.vbs -rearm". Press enter.
8) Navigate to activation and enter your product key.
9) Relax knowing you didn't have to sit on tech support.
I'm guessing those with small SSD
's will have the same issues upgrading from XP.