Windows 7 Discussion on Windows 7 and operating it on the Dell Mini series.

(#1) Old
Default windows 7 upgrade question - 08-26-2009, 09:58 PM

I have windows 7 RC on my dell mini right now and i did a clean install so what i wanted to know is when W7 releases does thet mean i have to reinstall XP inorder for me to be able to just get the W7 upgrade disc or will it install over the W7rc?And also i was planning on upgrading the HDD to a 320gb and i was planning on just doing a clean install on it but i suspect i can't do that with a upgrade disc or can i?
  (#2) Old
Expert Member
Default 08-26-2009, 11:00 PM

The official MS line is that they don't want you upgrading a non-release install. So you're supposed to use the assistant (migration I think its called) to save all your info and some but not much of installed application data then do a clean install.

This makes sense from a "make sure the customer has the least chance of something bad happening" sense although its a PIA.

But …

You can cheat and copy the install DVD to a flash drive (I believe) or make an iso image and re-burn it after you fix/remove/edit some file which has to do with checking for what kind of install (i.e. Vista can be upgraded) and allowing it.

Just Google for Win 7 upgrade hack beta (or RC) or something like that and you should find tons of sites explaining how to upgrade your current install.

Mini1: Vostro A90, Black, 2G, 1.3 Webcam, Bluetooth, 64G SuperTalent, OS X 10.6.4
Mini2: Mini9, Black, 2G, 0.3 Webcam, Bluetooth, 32G RunCore, OS X/Win 7, internal PCI-e SHDC Reader
Mini3: Mini10v. Black, 2G, Webcam, 640G HD, OS X 10.5.8/Win 7/Ubuntu [Hibernate w/NBI 0.8.3 RC4]
Dropbox Referral

« "CD/DVD driver missing" | Vista drivers better for 7 than 7 drivers? »