Vista Discussion on running Windows Vista on the Dell Mini

(#1) Old
Default Battery life with Vista compared to XP - 11-18-2008, 05:48 PM

I'm thinking about getting a Mini 9 with a 16 GB SSD since apparently those are faster than the MDD 32 GB SSD. I definitely want Windows on it, but I'm not sure if I want Vista or XP. My main concern is that Vista will have a shorter battery life. but I have read one post on this forum that said that Vista actually has better power management and in turn, has a longer battery life.

I'd just like to hear from anyone who has done a comparison. Does XP or Vista have a longer battery life on the Mini 9?

(#2) Old
Default Re: Battery life with Vista compared to XP - 11-18-2008, 08:31 PM

Personally, I am waiting a while to replace my 16gb SSD that came with the Mini. Of course I would love a bigger drive, but the one that comes in the Mini actually has really good benchmarks.

I started with Vista, went to XP for a couple of days, then went back to Vista. I didn't use a stopwatch or anything, but I got about 15 minutes less runtime with the XP install that with Vista.

It was a little noticeable to me because I was looking to see if it would be a factor, but honestly unless you are always in a situation where every single minute of battery has to count, then my advice to you would be to go with whatever OS makes you happier. I'm convinced that there is a difference in battery life between the OS'es, but not enough to worry about in this case I think.

« Vista broken, can't fix it | Vista Drivers? »