Vista Discussion on running Windows Vista on the Dell Mini

(#11) Old
Default Re: Impressions of Vista on the Mini - 11-09-2008, 09:24 AM

I made a bit of a streamlined Vista installation using V-Lite.

I was very surprised, and pleased, that with 2gb of RAM Vista absolutely *flew* on my Mini. It was an excellent experience.

Two weeks later I put XP on for the comparison, and was sadly disappointed. It was totally a ho-hum experience, and definitely more sluggish all around than Vista. I know that doesn't make a lot of sense, but that is my experience. Also power management was worse with XP, my battery definitely did not last as long.

Three days later I went back to Vista, and will never look back.

In my V-lite build, I removed all the hibernation stuff in order to free up the extra 2gb of HD space.

My sleep and wake times are astounding-- 2 to 3 seconds to sleep, and awake almost before I get the lid fully open. I have two colleagues that both made V-lite builds, and they have reported similar results as mine on their Minis (we all ordered at the same time).

My two pence, for what it's worth. Those wanting to go to Vista, take the time to make a good solid V-lite build, trim some of the fat, and go for it. The Mini with Vista on it is truly a joy to use.

« WiFi Drivers? | streaming video problem »