Vista Discussion on running Windows Vista on the Dell Mini

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  (#1) Old

Default Creating a Bootable Vista / Windows 7 USB Flash Drive - 12-21-2008, 05:20 AM

I did a lot of searching but had a lot of trouble finding clear, step-by-step instructions for creating a bootable USB flash drive for a Vista/Windows 7 installation from Windows.

I posted the simplest process I found here:
http://kmwoley.com/blog/?p=345

It would be great if a mod could post something like this in the FAQ that includes all of the other processes for creating bootable USB keys (linux distros, etc.) so one doesn't have to search the many posts that talk about all the things that didn't work. ^_^

Feel free to comment if you know of a more simplistic method.
Kevin
  (#2) Old

Default Re: Creating a Bootable Vista / Windows 7 USB Flash Drive - 12-21-2008, 07:53 AM

could this be done with XP somehow? i have vista atm and want to install XP but dont have a external cd drive
  (#3) Old

Default Re: Creating a Bootable Vista / Windows 7 USB Flash Drive - 01-13-2009, 07:35 AM

part of the requirements from the link you posted said you needed a computer that has windows 7/vista? what if all i have are macs and my dellmini which is running iDeneb osx right now? any other way around that?
  (#4) Old

Default Re: Creating a Bootable Vista / Windows 7 USB Flash Drive - 01-21-2009, 07:59 PM

I have not been able to make a bootable Windows 7 USB drive that I can boot from using Windows XP. When I get a solution I will be sure and post it.
  (#5) Old

Default Re: Creating a Bootable Vista / Windows 7 USB Flash Drive - 01-22-2009, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Hi,

I have created a hopefully simple guide on how I create USB thumb drive for installing Windows 7. Let me know if this helps.

http://www.netbookguy.com/blogs/netbook ... a-dvd.aspx

Thanks,
Kevin (netbookguy)
Found this in the clean install from usb drive thread. I followed the steps verbatim using an XP SP2 machine, and everything seems to be working fine for me. Props to netbookguy.

Just remember to remove the drive after your mini reboots. (Be warned it might hang a little while on Completing installation ...) I haven't installed the drivers yet, but it was smooth sailing all the way.
  (#6) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to MoInSTL Send a message via MSN to MoInSTL Send a message via Yahoo to MoInSTL
Default Re: Creating a Bootable Vista / Windows 7 USB Flash Drive - 02-01-2009, 05:29 AM

Since I have XP Pro I can't use diskpart and most sites have instructions using diskpart. I spent some time looking at the various suggestions and decided I liked this the best: http://heh.pl/&3hU
Just read from Step 5 on.

I scrolled down and found the following comment and solution for XP users:

1: Download: http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.p...e=post&id=1054
2: Run USB_MultiBoot_10.cmd —> press any key.
3: Choose option 2 aka H —-> choose nfts and format, not quick format.
4: Follow this guide from step 5 and forward.

USB_Multiboot_10 is very cool. I just glanced at all the instructions inside Multiboot 10. The instructions above and Step 5 forward on the first link worked.

This is quickest, easiest method out there IMO for XP users.

Studio 15 1558| Black Chainlink| i5-520M, |4GB RAM |500 GB HD@7200 |ATI HD 4570, 512K|Backlit|9 Cell|Web Cam|Windows 7 Professional x64

« Windows 7 - Build 6801 - Sleep/Hibernate/Hybrid doesn't work | Mini 9 Vista optimizing speed »