Vista Discussion on running Windows Vista on the Dell Mini

(#1) Old
Default Vista webcam issues - 12-18-2008, 06:11 AM

Hey all.

I installed vista, and everything went perfectly. The only issue I have is that the dell webcam console doesn't see my webcam. Programs like Gtalk see the cam, so I know it's working.

I installed the dell drivers for the integrated webcam as well.

The message I get when trying to launch the console is "Your webcam driver is not installed. Please install the driver in order to launch the webcam console."

Any help would be appreciated.
  (#2) Old
Default Re: Vista webcam issues - 12-18-2008, 04:02 PM

I did not use Dell's webcam software. I started with the slim drivers from the XP Pro section and Windows Update either confirmed what was there or installed a new one. Works just fine for me (in Vista), although I purposefully don't use Dell's software.

Mini 9 | Black | 32GB RunCore SSD | 2GB RAM | .3MP cam
Windows 7 Home Premium
  (#3) Old
Default Re: Vista webcam issues - 12-18-2008, 07:06 PM

MS tried to get developers to use the Windows Portable Device driver as opposed to the Windows Image Acquisition driver for cameras and scanners. In Vista, this was forced. This is why some cameras no longer work with stock software when moving to Vista. It appears that Google recognized this and wrote their add-on to support as required. OneNote will record video off of my camera, but none of the Vista apps recognize it for still photos as you could in XP. ... o-wpd.aspx
  (#4) Old
Default Re: Vista webcam issues - 12-18-2008, 07:54 PM

I found a newer copy of the dell software (a friend of mine just got a studio and it came with that).. after installing that, everything seems to work fine now.

« Is anyone running Vista with just 1 Gig ? | Vlite Vista, No print spooler, no printers! »