Vista Discussion on running Windows Vista on the Dell Mini

(#1) Old
Default Vista install can't boot - 11-19-2008, 09:21 PM

I think I've made a grave error and I'm hoping to find a way out :| ...

I followed these instructions to put Vista on a USB drive (I don't have external optical drive): ... rries.html

Then I booted from the USB drive and went through the Vista install (full install...not a Vlite version). It made it about 30% of the way through before stopping with the error: Windows cannot install required files...Error Code: 0x80070070

I booted back into the Vista install and noticed not very much of the 14.9G on the hard drive was actually available. Thinking this was the problem, I decided to use Gparted to wipe clean the drive and format it as NTFS. I had done this on several desktops and installed Vista without a problem.

Now when I try to boot into the Vista install I get the message: "Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause..." It suggests booting the install CD which of course I can't do. It also mentions:
"File: \Boot\BSD"
"Status: 0xc00000f"
"Info: An error occurred while attempting to read the boot configuration data."

Apparently I have royally messed up the Windows Boot Manager (or something)...can anyone help bail me out?
  (#2) Old
Default Re: Vista install can't boot - 11-20-2008, 07:12 AM

I guess the bootable USB option was too much for me. I bought an external DVD drive and everything works fine. Working on a Vista install right now...

Edit: Vista now installed and working great...even looks awesome and works great. Thanks to everyone who posted what works and what doesn't. It's nice to have the External DVD drive as a safety blanket in case I mess something up.

« Vista Drivers? | Info regarding WinSxs directory and space req in Vista/Win 7 »