Ubuntu Discussion on Ubuntu on the Dell Inspiron Mini range of netbooks.

(#1) Old
Default Installing Ubuntu 9.04 on Mini 10v - 06-22-2009, 12:23 AM

I am interested in upgrading my 10v to ubuntu 9.04. I currently run 8.04 and have been having issues creating a usb stick to boot from. I am a new Linux user, and I was wondering if anybody would have the time to possibly create some step-by-step instructions on how to create a bootable usb drive and how to boot from it. I know this would possibly help many others. Also, should I install netbook remix or the regular version of Jaunty. I have heard from both sides and cannot decide. Thank you!
  (#2) Old
Default 06-22-2009, 12:49 AM

Ubuntu has instructions on their site: http://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ins...n/FromUSBStick

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
  (#3) Old
Default 06-22-2009, 07:37 AM

NBR vs Desktop? If you install NBR you can use "desktop switcher" and switch between the two.

Conversely, you can also install NBR from synaptic; but, I managed to mess up my system pretty good this way and had to reinstall(had issues with windows/both interfaces at once)

So I'd advise NBR if you are unsure, since you can switch on the fly. I didn't/don't like the interface..so I just run the desktop version. I didn't see any inherrent value running NBR sinceits just about the GUI IMO. The same occasional problem with prefrance window being too big for the screen happens with both versions. This also happens in OSX and probibly in Windose too. I just prefer my desktop to look more like a "traditional" computer GUI than a cell phone looking GUI.

Black Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB Runcore|16GB SD|Win 7 (RC)|BT|1.3|V470 BT Mouse

« need Javascript error help | Need Help with Network Proxy Settings »