Ubuntu Discussion on Ubuntu on the Dell Inspiron Mini range of netbooks.

(#1) Old
Default Problems making USB boot disk - 06-21-2009, 01:35 PM

This is my first post and first time dealing with linux. I'm in Iraq so bandwidth sucks. I spent all of last night downloading the 9.04 Ubuntu to my vista laptop.

I then downloading the win32 disk imager (both version 1 and 2) from the link in a guide. I attached a Patriot 8gb usb drive. I selected the ubuntu .img file with the win32 program and clicked "read". I received an "error 8" code. I received the same code when i clicked "write".

What do I need to do to fix this? Or should I just deal with the 8.04 version installed on my Dell Mini 9?

Is there another program I can use to make a bootable USB drive, if so can you post a link?
  (#2) Old
Default 06-21-2009, 03:03 PM

Try the program here on your USB drive. Worked for me with a Sandisk stick:

MBRWizard! - The MBR Management Utility

I had to make my USB "active" so it could boot. That's the option you need to run.
  (#3) Old
Default 06-21-2009, 07:16 PM

Thanks for the reply. Although it appears I have a new problem. I downloaded "UNetbootin" and successfully made a USB bootable drive.

I booted from this using netbook 9.04 on my dell mini. Everything was working, the prompt came up with the ubuntu logo. I chose "install" after that a black screen came up with a prompt.

I looked everywhere and all the how-to's didn't mention this. I didn't know what to do so I just restarted it. Any ideas or links?
  (#4) Old
Default 06-22-2009, 07:51 AM

make sure you delete any old data on your usb stick before making a new boot stick. UNetbootin and I think maybe umbuntu usb creator don.t clear the old data and it can mess up your install/boot.

One trick that worked for me (UNetbootin didn't work for me) is to:

-write a Ubuntu live disk
-boot up on another computer with a CD drive in live mode, then("Run without making any chages to this computer")
-then run System>Admministration>USB Startup Disk Creator (make sure not to run "install" from the desktop)

that should do it. just remember to make sure your usb drive is empty and I think FAT 32 (which is usually the standard format they come in - just somthing to look into if you have problems)

Good luck and take care.

Black Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB Runcore|16GB SD|Win 7 (RC)|BT|1.3|V470 BT Mouse
  (#5) Old
Default 06-23-2009, 06:07 AM

I know you said your bandwidth was poor, but if anyone else reads this, I would recommend downloading the netbook remix for the Mini, rather than the standard Ubuntu.

It comes as a USB writable img file, which is less hassle than the iso to boot from USB.
  (#6) Old
Default 06-23-2009, 06:31 AM

I appreciate the replys. I decided to go another route. Borrowed an external dvd drive and loaded XP. Everything works great. Thanks again for the help.

« The MOST basic wireless network connection question | Deaful Swap File? »