Ubuntu Discussion on Ubuntu on the Dell Inspiron Mini range of netbooks.

(#1) Old
Default Adding Gmail and Google Docs icons to the UNR interface panels - 06-05-2009, 05:18 PM

This question might be better suited for the Beginner's Questions, which is where I've been posting my few dumb questions, but since this relates primarily to the UNR interface, I thought I'd post it here.

When you activate Google Mail and Google Docs for offline use, using a Google Gears installation, it gives you the option to create a shortcut to those apps on your desktop. A very handy shortcut if you use either of them when you're away from the internet.

In OS X, I can drag those icons to my dock, taking them off the desktop and keeping them "handy" with the rest of my frequently used programs. How can I move or copy those icons into my Favorites tab in the UNR interface? I've played a little with "Make Link" (right-clicking the icons in my Desktop file view), but haven't been very successful.

I know this is fairly easy and simple, so I apologize for bothering you all with this request. I just haven't been able to figure it out on my own.

(#2) Old
Send a message via MSN to anjilslaire Send a message via Yahoo to anjilslaire
Default 06-05-2009, 06:39 PM

You need to edit the Gnome menu, and add links to the shortcuts to your Favorites, submenu, for example. They will then be in th UNR interface.

Mini 9 Red|2 gigs ram|32gig SSD|Intel 3945 a/b/g|Ubuntu 10.10 UNE
Need more useless stuff to read on teh internetz?
  (#3) Old
Default 06-05-2009, 07:47 PM

Thanks for your help, anjilslaire!

I don't think I did this correctly, but I went to Preferences -> Main Menu. After highlighting Favorites, I selected "New Item" and entered in the necessary information (I basically copied the information in the Command box from my desktop shortcuts into the Command box in the New Item dialog). I had to set a type of "Application," otherwise it wouldn't take.

The new shortcut seems to work, but I'm stuck with the Launcher icon. I haven't had time to play with replacing the icon yet, but when I double-click, the Gmail icon that comes with the "built-in" icon with Google Gears, doesn't seem to show up in the list. No doubt it's hidden somewhere on my SSD. I just need to find it.

Thanks again for the help!
  (#4) Old
Default 06-15-2009, 03:03 AM

do you have the stock dell ubuntu or the 9.04 ubuntu netbook remix?
  (#5) Old
Default 06-15-2009, 11:26 AM

I'm talking about the Netbook Remix interface. I have icons on my desktop, in "classic" mode, but wanted to add icons/shortcuts to my favorites tab in the UNR interface. Using what I described above works, so I have shortcuts to both offline Gmail and Google Docs on my favorites tab, but the icons are generic application launchers, not the nifty Gmail and Google Docs icons that show up when I'm in classic mode.

I still haven't figured out how to get that fixed, but it's a pretty minor at this point.

« USB STartup menu | Webcam just stopped working »