Ubuntu Discussion on Ubuntu on the Dell Inspiron Mini range of netbooks.

(#1) Old
Default Trying to get BT tether to work with 3G AT&T (wvdial / rfcomm)... - 05-26-2009, 03:20 PM

Hi folks.

I'm running 9.04 and I've been struggling with getting bluetooth tethering working. It seems that there are plenty of references out there but each device connection seems to be a bit different.

I believe that I'm 90% there but don't understand what's wrong.

I created two files, rfcomm.conf and wvdial.conf
rfcomm.conf used the hcitool and sdptool info to put in the correct MAC address and Channel.
wvdial.conf references this when it tried to dial up.

I used the standard init lines given on other sites but needed to remove +FCLASS=0 as that made things error out with my Motorola Q.

I can run sudo wvdial and the connection gets established, it even gives me my IPs and two DNS servers. However, none of my ping requests work (and obv. firefox doesn't work either).

Doe anyone have any thoughts about how to troubleshoot from here?
I'm 99% there, I know it but don't know how to test from here out.

(#2) Old
Default One more note for those stuck in the same place... - 05-26-2009, 05:41 PM

I don't seem to be able to get wvdial to work correctly but I ended up using gnome-ppp instead. If anyone figures out wvdial feel free to drop me a line.

Here's the 411 on getting Bluetooth 3G connection working...
create rfcomm.conf file (using other posts you'll find here which explain hcitool and sdptool )
download gnome-ppp (if you're not internet connected goto any PC and find the .deb file on the launchpad site and copy to USB stick - warning there may be dependancies too. Insert into Dell mini and right click on icon to install deb file).

Gnome-ppp needed a slight edit...
I'm on AT&T so I used username: wap@cingulargprs.com
and pass: CINGULAR1

Dial: *99***1#
goto setup and I chose /dev/rfcomm0

(If that doesn't work you'll need to do a 'sudo rfcomm bind 0 'MAC' 'Channel ' )

Goto Init String and you may need to remove +FCLASS=0 depending on the phone you have.

Once those edits were done and I had run sudo rfcomm to ensure the BT connection was running cleanly I was able to connect without issue.

- Good luck.

bt bluetooth dialup duns

« HDMI output on mini 10 | usb and camera issues on vostro a90 using unr »