Ubuntu Discussion on Ubuntu on the Dell Inspiron Mini range of netbooks.

(#1) Old
Default Dell sticking with 8.04 - 05-21-2009, 01:02 AM

Dell: Most Linux users don't really need the latest version | Tech Gear News - Betanews

Dell has confirmed that they will be sticking to 8.04 for the time being. In some ways I agree, having a more stable platform is a good thing. But with all the improvements for 9.04, especially netbook remix, I think people would be more impressed with 9.04.

Another thing I noticed is that most of the stories on the new Latitude 2100 list it as having 8.10.
  (#2) Old
Default 05-21-2009, 10:12 AM

I agree with Dell's decision. Thanks for sharing the article!
  (#3) Old
Default 05-21-2009, 01:52 PM

I agree that sticking to the LTS version makes sense for support reasons. However, since Dell customized their 8.04 release which requires using their own repositories, part of the "support" should involve maintaining said repositories, which they currently do a bad job of doing. Secondly, the fact that their newest netbook is being offered with 8.10 makes no sense and completely turns their strategy upside down. Now, instead of configuring their Linux offerings with vanilla Ubuntu 8.04 LTS and putting the requirements for repository maintenance on the Ubuntu community, they are basically poorly maintaining two different OSs, one which is not LTS. It seems that they started with a good idea and then let the marketing department ruin it.

Obsidian Black Dell Mini 9 | Ubuntu 9.04 | 64 GB Runcore SSD | 2 GB KINGSTON HYPER-X RAM | A05 BIOS | US-International Keyboard | Intel WiFi Link 5350 with third antenna | Orange Neoprene Sleeve
  (#4) Old
Default 05-21-2009, 02:41 PM

Why would they pre-install 8.10 on a new model? It will be obsolete in less than a year (April 2010). Makes no sense.

ubuntu 8.04

« browser in off-line mode -- huh? | No sound in UNR 9.0.4 »