Ubuntu Discussion on Ubuntu on the Dell Inspiron Mini range of netbooks.

(#1) Old
Send a message via AIM to nickganga
Unhappy Dell CompleteCare Coverage - 09-30-2008, 03:34 AM

Hey fellow mini fans. I ordered a Mini 9 with Ubuntu and CompleteCare (1 960-4497 CompleteCare Accidental DamageProtection, Inspiron, 2 Year) and they are are now telling me that I can not get CompleteCare Damage Protection with the Mini 9. Did any of you guys order yours with Complete Care?

My Dell Mini 9 - 16GB SSD, 512MB RAM, Webcam, Bluetooth, Ubuntu 8.10
Upgrades: 2GB RAM, Intel Wifi 5300 N Card, 3rd WLAN Antenna
Coming Soon: Internal 8GB Flash Drive (Dual Boot), Internal USB GPS, Internal USB Hub
  (#2) Old
Default Re: Dell CompleteCare Coverage - 09-30-2008, 06:26 PM

My original order was placed 9/12/08 from a quote I had them configure with the same 3 year warranty QVC was offering at that time. I asked about CompleteCare but was told I couldn't get CompleteCare for 3 years. If I wanted it, I would have to drop one year of the warranty to get it AND it would cost me more. I decided to stick with the 3 years. I'll probably kick myself if I drop it and it breaks but I'm an adult and shouldn't be that hard on it. :geek:
  (#3) Old
Default Re: Dell CompleteCare Coverage - 09-30-2008, 09:03 PM

CompleteCare on the Mini doesn't make financial sense, for you to buy or for Dell to offer; the unit is just too cheap. Maxed out, the Mini is only about $500 new. In a year, it probably won't be worth more than $200; a year after that maybe $100.

Adding a year of extended warranty coverage is $80. If they offered the CompleteCare, it would be somewhere over $100/year.

From a investment/return standpoint, you'd need to drop it in the first year to make it worth your while to have paid for the CompleteCare. Since the likelihood that will happen is far less than 100% (indeed, probably far less than 5% even), it's really just not worth it.

« Refund from Dell for not Using XP | BIOS »