Ubuntu Discussion on Ubuntu on the Dell Inspiron Mini range of netbooks.

(#1) Old
Unhappy Lack of Updates? - 11-11-2008, 06:14 AM

It's been a while since I used Ubuntu, I think the last version I used was 5.something, but there were very frequent updates, usually several per week. It's been weeks since I've seen any updates on my Mini 9. Has Ubuntu really gotten good enough to not require frequent updates, or is this just like every other Dell I've ever had, updates come only once in a blue moon?

Dell Mini 9, 2GB RAM, 64GB SSD, 1.3MP camera, Bluetooth, Ubuntu 8.10
  (#2) Old
Send a message via Yahoo to GerallK
Default Re: Lack of Updates? - 11-11-2008, 12:37 PM

Good question; I don't know the answer, but here's more information to chew on...

I'm running an Ubuntu 8.04 machine on my desktop at home, and I can say (without a doubt) that it has had updates pushed to it from Canonical since I've had my mini...

I'll also confirm your observation about the mini not getting a lot of update-attention. So, it would appear that the repository for the mini is something Canonical doesn't maintain (the premise being they'd push updates as frequently as with their main archives).

Does Dell maintain it? I dunno... However, given that the hardware range is finite on the mini, the repository might only be updated when show-stopping, high-security updates are available for the libraries and support software on your device.

Several updates per week? Nah - With the main, universe, restricted, and multiverse repo's enabled, as well as setting my Updates to be "LTS only" the Ubuntu 8.04 machine only gets updates about once every 2~3 weeks.

[edit] Oh yeah - that box also has the Google respository enabled, but that doesn't get updated with anything like regularity...

Obsidian Mini 9 > 2gb ram, 16gb ssd, bluetooth, 1.3mp webcam, us-intl kbd
Internal Mods > usb hub, 16gb flash drive, 8gb flash drive, added webcam, changed kbd
Software Mods > Dellbuntu 8.04.1 | Gentoo 2008.0

« BIOS a01 | Microsoft Office on Ubuntu Mini »