Ubuntu Discussion on Ubuntu on the Dell Inspiron Mini range of netbooks.

(#1) Old
Default HDMI output on mini 10 - 04-19-2009, 07:46 PM

I'm running Dell Ubuntu (belmont) with all the latest official updates on my Inspiron 1010 (aka Mini 10). I have the native 1024x576 resolution working fine on the 1010's screen but when I plug it into my HDTV - which can do at least 1366x768 - all I get is 640x480 on the TV with no sound. That is not HDMI and that is not why I decided to splash out an extra £130 on the 1010 over a cheaper, but just as capable in every other aspect except display ports, alternative.

I know Hardy uses an earlier version of GNOME but 2.26 is supposed to have improved support for handling external displays so maybe upgrading GNOME would help?

I should very much hope you can achieve 1366x768 external HDMI output with sound under XP AND Linux. If anyone has got decent (ie a proper HD res) HDMI output working with their mini could you please share your xorg.conf?
  (#2) Old
Default Re: HDMI output on mini 10 - 04-19-2009, 11:26 PM

Actually it would seem my TV is a bit better than that- it claims it can do up to at least 1920x1080(p)

I've got another laptop here that has a 256MB radeon HD2400 gfx chipset with DVI output. If I boot that up when plugged into my TV then, to display the GRUB menu, it starts at 720x480 so I know it can do that res too. According to the GNOME screen res tool and amdcccle the max res my ATI laptop can actually output is 'only' 1280x800 so the TV goes into 1920x1080 mode and stretches the 1280x800 input to fill the display. Thus, it should be no problem for my TV then if I can only output 1024x576 for it to stretch and display that in 1080p, if it can't output a regular HD res instead, right?

I've not started experimenting with xorg.conf yet, just wanted to see what was already known about HDMI output with belmont on the mini 10 already, see if anyones already got the secret sauce already?
  (#3) Old
Default Re: HDMI output on mini 10 - 04-26-2009, 02:40 PM

I finally got round to experimenting with HDMI output and it would seem to me that current mini 10 Linux GFX (pouslbo) driver is only capable of outputting up to 720x576 @ 50Hz with no audio. Its an improvement over the default 640x480 but its still a poor do by HDMI standards. Can the Mini 10 achieve higher-res output under Windows?

Here's how to adjust the external monitor:

* Plug your mini into your TV

* Type

Under a terminal- this will list the available screens and their available resolutions. In my case I get something like:

dan@dan:~# xrandr
Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1024 x 576, maximum 1024 x 1024
LVDS0 connected 1024x576+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 223mm x 125mm
1024x576 60.3*+
640x480 59.9
TMDS-1 connected 720x480+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 16mm x 9mm
720x576 50.0
720x480 59.9*
640x480 60.0

Here you can see xrandr refers to my mini 10 display as LVDS0 and my HDTV as TMDS-1.

* So, if I wanted to adjust the resolution of my HDTV output to 720x576 I would issue the command:

xrandr --output TMDS-1 --mode 720x576

I have tried using cvt to create some new modelines (such as 1024x576 and 1920x1080) for my HDTV but none of my custom modes have worked
  (#4) Old
Default Re: HDMI output on mini 10 - 04-26-2009, 02:53 PM

I hope you can improve your HDMI output.

But I really hope Dell stops selling netbooks with GMA500 graphics and Linux, unless at some future date, the GMA500 actually has working Linux drivers.

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
  (#5) Old
Default HDMI Video and Sound - 05-25-2009, 04:35 PM

Although it's very awkward to set up, I've gotten 1280 by 720 full screen. Rt click desktop, settings, advanced, intel, graphics, select dig TV. After you say OK your dell will go blank. Also, you can only select digital TV when the TV is on and HDMI connected. I was not able to see full screen at 1920 by 1080. Also i can.t get sound out of the HDMI, and don't see any way to select it,
  (#6) Old
Default 05-26-2009, 02:55 PM

Don't know if you noticed but this is the Ubuntu/Linux on mini 10 forum and the instructions you gave would only work under Windows.

As it happens though, I have made progress with getting a decent HDMI picture out of my mini 10 when running under Ubuntu. I installed jaunty alternate i386, updated all packages to the latest then added these repos:

deb Index of /ubuntu-mobile/ppa/ubuntu jaunty main
deb-src Index of /ubuntu-mobile/ppa/ubuntu jaunty main

apt-get update
apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-psb

Reboot and you'll have X running at the right res on the internal screen and better HDMI support than is in belmont, as 1280x720 (mostly) works. This is my initial review of the current state of GMA500 support under Jaunty which I've just posted to the Ubuntu forums:

There will be people on here who have very minimal video requirements who will basically only require that they can get the full res out of their screen- well for those jaunty has arrived as all is working fine 'cept advanced graphics features in that atm there is no Xv (Video accel.- full screen youtube etc. is too jerky to be watchable), glxinfo does say Direct Rendering is available but there is no 3D working 3D accel yet as far as I can see as compiz doesn't work, even after adding psb to the Whitelist and enabling 3D accel privs for your user and some simple 3D games (foobillard, gunroar) that I've tested have verified that there is no 3D accel at present.

The good news, as has already been hinted at, is that HDMI is now working better than ever before on the mini 10 in that I get a 1280x720 image on my TV as soon as X starts (I need to log out if already logged in for the HDMI picture to come up). Unfortunately, this still has problems:

* No sound! I've checked both alsamixer and paman but both only see an analogue HDA intel alsa device. I can get sound coming out of my mini 10 but not via HDMI cable through the TV.

* Picture doesn't fit. I've not tried experimenting with the various config options xrandr offers to resize and reposition the HDMI display yet but I cannot see the full desktop on my TV, I'd guess that about 10-20 pixels round the edge of the screen are being obscured. I was hoping my TV would offer an 'auto-zoom/ position' function but it doesn't sadly. Can you see your full desktop on your HDMI screen without any manual adjustment woodhouse, anyone else?

There are basically no configuration options available for adjusting displays available under GNOMEs screen config tool. I know suse have a good graphical display config tool as part of YasT that does what I require but is there not a better xrandr GUI available to Ubuntu/Debian/GNOME users?

Playing with external displays under Jaunty/GNOME has only highlighted to me that GNOME still doesn't handle the whole deal too well as it normally results in your GNOME panel icons getting moved about and their order messed up. I hope GNOME 3 will solve this problem.

HDMI audio works!!

For those few programs that actually care about what setting you've chosen under System -> Preferences -> Sound then you've got to choose

For all your sound settings, that will then make at least Totem/'Movie Player' use your HDMI screen to output the sound.

Totem, like Flash, gets really jerky when you try playing any videos full screen with the current jaunty psb driver, so instead I'm using smplayer to play video files on my hdmi screen as smplayer lets you select the alsa hdmi audio output, which firefox and vlc can't see. To get hmdi audio output working under smplayer, push CTRL+P for the prefs., click on the 'Audio' tab and then choose

alsa ( 0.3 - HDA Intel MID )

For the 'Output driver' option then choose Apply / OK

So I have actually seen every bit of hardware (at least almost fully) working under Linux on my Mini 10 now, just not all at once and under the same version. I have seen 3D and accelerated video working under belmont/Hardy, compiz working under intrepid and now I've seen a nigh on 100% working HDMI under Jaunty- someone just needs to pull the right strings now and we cold have a fully working driver under Jaunty soon, I'd hope!

Can anyone tell me how I might be able to get the sound output by flash under FF to be redirected to the alsa HDMI output and if there is a better tool for Ubuntu users wanting to calibrate their displays via gui than the one that comes with GNOME?

« Way to use Fn+2 to start airplane manager? | Trying to get BT tether to work with 3G AT&T (wvdial / rfcomm)... »