Ubuntu Discussion on Ubuntu on the Dell Inspiron Mini range of netbooks.

(#1) Old
Default Video chat client - 11-04-2008, 11:40 AM

To all the ubuntuians that video chat regularly,
which is the best clent to go for, Ekiga, Skype or other ? are they limited to calling users with the same client, eg: skype to skype, or can they call any video chat client eg: skype to ekiga
I will never use it for anything other than pc to pc video chat, and dont want to spend any money or subscribe to anything if it can be avoided.
The mini is my first web cam equipped pc, and wish to call family up north and abroad.

(#2) Old
Default Re: Video chat client - 11-04-2008, 12:55 PM

I was browsing the blog over at www.ubuntumini.com and Cheese was a recommendation:

Web Camera
Installed cheese, web cam works. It run a lot smoother if you turn the resolution down a bit. When I first ran cheese it was slow and choppy, but as soon as I lower the resolution it worked 10 times better.
To install cheese
In a terminal type:
sudo apt-get install cheese

My Dell Mini 9
Black / BIOS A05 / Dual Booting XP Pro and Ubuntu 9.04 / 2GB RAM / 16GB SSD / BT 2.0 / 1.3MP Webcam / US-INTL Keyboard U061H
External Drive
Buffalo MicroSD USB Memory Stick w/8GB MicroSD
  (#3) Old
Default Re: Video chat client - 11-04-2008, 05:05 PM

thanks for the recommendation, I have cheese installed. It seems more like a camera utility to record photos and video than a video chat client.

« Need Help. Ubuntu -> Dual System | Tried looking for a BIOS update. What the heck only .exe? »