Ubuntu Discussion on Ubuntu on the Dell Inspiron Mini range of netbooks.

(#1) Old
Default Ubuntu & XP Dual Boot - 04-09-2009, 01:51 AM

Does anyone know how I can install Ubuntu on a Mini 9 with XP already installed. I Created a partition on my 64ssd, 50gb for XP and the remaining unpartitioned space for ubuntu.
Ubuntu CD included performs a Restore, how can I have it install on that other partition?
P.S. I am using an external CD drive
Thanks in Advance
  (#2) Old
Default Re: Ubuntu & XP Dual Boot - 04-09-2009, 02:15 AM

(#3) Old
Default Re: Ubuntu & XP Dual Boot - 04-09-2009, 02:51 AM

Download a Ubuntu CD image from the web and use it instead of the shipped CD?

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
  (#4) Old
Default Re: Ubuntu & XP Dual Boot - 04-09-2009, 04:50 AM

Yeah, as the above mentioned, don't use the Dell Ubuntu disk. Download a full version of Ubuntu. The installation will install GRUB and put Ubuntu on the partition you created. It'll also let you import Windows files and preferences, such as bookmarks, onto your Ubuntu partition. Once you've done that, you'll have a dual-boot machine. I believe by default Ubuntu will load if you do not otherwise select Windows at boot-up, but I think this can changed to default to Windows if you prefer.
  (#5) Old
Default Re: Ubuntu & XP Dual Boot - 04-09-2009, 11:37 AM

As mentioned, the easiest solution in this case is to use "regular" Ubuntu 8.10 (or 9.04 if you're comfortable with beta software) instead of the Dell version. There are one or two "tweaks" such as audio that are well documented in these forums or at www.ubuntumini.com.

If you want to change the boot order (to make XP the default), edit your grub options with this terminal command (from Ubuntu):

gksu gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst

Change the "default 0" line near the top of the file to the number of the line you want as default, minus one. For example, if your grub options show WIndows as the 4th line, set it to "default 3". Save the changes and reboot.

I predict, however, that you will want to make Ubuntu the default.
  (#6) Old
Expert Member
Default 12-02-2009, 08:25 PM

I had added this question over in the Dell mini 10 forum but never got an answer. Hopefully here where more folks are familiar with grub it'll get answered.

Is there a way to get Grub to automagically boot right into Ubuntu and not display the menu, yet still have a way to get it if necessary? Like with Chameleon you can set it to quit boot and it will just load to OS X but if you press space at the right time it will instead give you a list of partitions to boot to. All assuming you have more than 1 OS installed, of course

Mini1: Vostro A90, Black, 2G, 1.3 Webcam, Bluetooth, 64G SuperTalent, OS X 10.6.4
Mini2: Mini9, Black, 2G, 0.3 Webcam, Bluetooth, 32G RunCore, OS X/Win 7, internal PCI-e SHDC Reader
Mini3: Mini10v. Black, 2G, Webcam, 640G HD, OS X 10.5.8/Win 7/Ubuntu [Hibernate w/NBI 0.8.3 RC4]
Dropbox Referral

« Best Wireless Card for Aircrack-ng and the Dell Mini 10v | Mini 10v Wifi intermittent »