Ubuntu Discussion on Ubuntu on the Dell Inspiron Mini range of netbooks.

(#1) Old
Default USB Aircard Help - 04-07-2009, 12:45 PM

Is there an Aircard (Verizon) that works with Ubuntu 8.04 on a Dell Mini 12
Does anyone have any idea why mine will not work, I can still return the aircard if it doesn't work, I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything.

I have a Verizon UM150 Aircard by Pantech. It appears to be configured properly w/GnomePPP and I can connect to the Verizon DNS Server and I get an IP Address but I cannot browse the internet after connecting.I checked the details on the connection and it says 0 upload and 0 download but It says I've sent and received some packages (for authentication w/VZW's Server)

?? Is there something different about Dell's Ubuntu vs Regular Ubuntu besides some drivers and pre-installed apps that is keeping this from working??

And I cannot find the Ubuntu 8.04 VZW Software to save my life, The verizon store had the 7.10 and 7.04 VZW Manager but 8.04 (2.4/2.6 )kernel is not supported with those packages.

If anyone can shed some light on this for me I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks
  (#2) Old
Default Re: USB Aircard Help - 04-07-2009, 06:16 PM

Have you programmed the aircard with the ESN and other carrier information? I was having a similar problem with my Cricket USB aircard until I programmed the activation information into the aircard. Unfortunately I had to do this on a Windows machine since there does not appear to an Ubuntu version of the Cricket software.
Rick Ankrum
  (#3) Old
Default Re: USB Aircard Help - 04-08-2009, 04:53 AM

Are you happy with your cricket USB broadband ??? I might just go ahead and get a different aircard or different Broadband ISP
Yes, It took some searching to find that one out, but yes, I had to connect with windows first and it worked fine with windows but the Dell Ubuntu will not work.
-> It appears to be connected to the internet and I get an IP Address but cannot browse the web, Firefox just hangs out until it gives me the error page

*I only installed Gnome PPP ---not sure if i need anything else?
Here are my settings:
Using Gnome PPP -
* [I chose the auto-detect option for the 1st part of the modem settings]
* Modem Tab
o Device: /dev/ttyACM0
o Type: USB Modem
o Speed: 460800
o Phone Line: Tone
o Volume: Off

* Options Tab
o Minimize: checked
o Dock in Notification Area: checked

* Username: "my10-digit-phone#"@vzw3g.com
* Password: vzw
* Phone Number: #777

~I will install the non-dell version of ubuntu on another computer tonight and test it with that one to make sure it isn't the Dell OEM Ubuntu that is interfering

Thanks Again for your reply!

« Update manager and "cant be authenticated" message | best book / quick refrence »