Ubuntu Discussion on Ubuntu on the Dell Inspiron Mini range of netbooks.

(#1) Old
Default ext2 vs ext3 vs ext4 - 04-03-2009, 03:02 PM

With ubuntu 9.04 out in a few weeks I'm thinking about formating my computer, resizing the partitions and maybe switching from ext3 to ext4.
I was worried about wearing the disk off using a journaled file system so I tried ext2 but it was a huge disaster. I had to force the computer to turn off and the xorg.conf got corrupted and I couldn't fix it . I did a sudo dpkg-reconfigure or something like that but it didn't work out. I reinstalled the computer, formated it in ext2 again and once everything was installed I took the battery off to test how stable was the ext2 file format... and the computer got corrupted again. So back to ext3 that has worked for me in another laptop for years without flaws.
Now ext4 is out I read that it's faster than ext3 with SSD disk. I don't know if there is any difference in the journaling system though and if it writes more or less or the same than ext3. I'd love to hear your opinions about file systems for linux and mini 9.
  (#2) Old
Default Re: ext2 vs ext3 vs ext4 - 04-03-2009, 04:40 PM

This is a long topic. You might read Wikipedia on ext4, this recent Ubuntu bug report, or this entry in Theodore Ts'o's blog. There are some other interesting entries in his blog as well on SSD's.

However, I think the short answer for me (and maybe you) is to stick with ext3 until the issues around ext4 and how to use it settle out. I also don't need to be on the bleeding edge of filesystem testing. I wouldn't worry about wearing out your SSD: you have years of life left in any case.
  (#3) Old
Default Re: ext2 vs ext3 vs ext4 - 04-03-2009, 08:11 PM

I've been using ext2 since I got the Mini. No problems at all with it, but i'll probably give ext4 a shot on 9.04 just for fun.

« HELP:MINI9 INTERNECT CONNECTION | Compiz keeps breaking »