Ubuntu Discussion on Ubuntu on the Dell Inspiron Mini range of netbooks.

(#1) Old
Default HELP:MINI9 INTERNECT CONNECTION - 04-03-2009, 11:16 AM

My mini 9 has just arrived, but i couldn't belive after 2hrs of trying, i still could not get it online. :|

i follow the instruction initially. saw a internet manager(some sort not know the exact name )icon on the top right, i saw a list of wireless available, unfortuantely, i couldn't find mine at all. then magically(i don't know what happened), i couldn't see this icon anymore. so i tried system-admin-network, and set the wireless.
typed in the network name (is it just he id for your wireless in windows?), and password type as WPA personal
and the password, with automatic configuration. but it didn't work.
i searched online for help, but seems there is a lot problem with the ubuntu internet connection and all the instructions are seems quite complicated.....and not work for every1. well i think if the ubuntu comes with the mini 9, then dell surely have sorted it out. so there should be some easy solution,right?
i am absolutely a newbie, only just touched ubuntu. so please HELP..........
  (#2) Old
Default Re: HELP:MINI9 INTERNECT CONNECTION - 04-03-2009, 04:27 PM

One suggestion would be to connect via the wired ethernet connection and get all the current updates that way. Then try the wireless. There are updates to the wireless that make it more compatible with secured wireless networks.

Refurbished Cherry Red mini 9, 2 GB, RunCore 16 GB SSD; Bluetooth, 1.3 MP Webcam;
Mac OS X 10.6.7; NBI 20100616212351; BIOS A04, USB Legacy off
  (#3) Old
Default Re: HELP:MINI9 INTERNECT CONNECTION - 04-03-2009, 05:05 PM

Wifi should work fine with WPA.

Problems that require more detail:

1. The networking icon should not magically disappear. Can you post a screenshot of your top bar? The possibilities are the you removed the "System Tray" (aka Notification Area in Ubuntu), or that you stopped the nmapplet (the program that is associated with the networking icon). Go into System -> Admin -> System Monitor (Processes tab) and look for nmapplet as a running process; is it there?

2. System -> Admin -> Network is not necessary, and I think best avoided. Just ensure it is set to Automatic Mode; all the other settings there are then greyed out (and irrelevant).

3. You could not find your wifi access point even when nmapplet (Network Manager applet / icon) was in the taskbar. Can you "find" your wifi when you use Windows etc, or is the SSID hidden? What channel do you broadcast on? Sometimes, you can get intereference from nearby wifi access points, so it is worth trying a few different channels if you can see other neighbouring access points but not your own. I assume you use WPA Personal as encryption mode (please confirm).

If you answer all of these details thoroughly, we should be able to get you back to where you started (pre-loss of nmapplet), and then get you connected.

« Upgrade or stay with Dell verson? | ext2 vs ext3 vs ext4 »