Ubuntu Discussion on Ubuntu on the Dell Inspiron Mini range of netbooks.

(#1) Old
Default Compiz keeps breaking - 04-01-2009, 12:55 AM

Ok I have searched all over the net and can not find a way to fix this problem. I am running Ubuntu 8.10 and Compiz was working fine until I hooked my Mini 9 up to my TV via VGA. When I try and enable Normal visual effects I get a error saying "Desktop effects could not be enabled". When I run compiz in a terminal i get
Checking for Xgl: not present. 
Detected PCI ID for VGA: 
Checking for texture_from_pixmap: not present. 
Trying again with indirect rendering:
Checking for texture_from_pixmap: present. 
Checking for non power of two support: present. 
Checking for Composite extension: present. 
Comparing resolution (1024x600) to maximum 3D texture size (2048): Passed.
Checking for Software Rasterizer: present. 
Software rasterizer detected, abortingaborting and using fallback: /usr/bin/metacity
I have tried reinstalling ever compiz thing and nothing works. This has happened to me 3 times now and the only way I have fixed it is to reinstall Ubuntu.
  (#2) Old
Default Re: Compiz keeps breaking - 04-04-2009, 04:23 PM

I had a problem like this on my ubuntu installation after connecting my mini to a 22" monitor. I'm pretty sure something in the xorg file is wrong. You have two options:
- Open the terminal Go to "cd /etc/X11/" (not 100% sure, i'm on a windows computer now) and look for the xorg.conf file. If you do a "ls" you may see some xorf.conf backup files. Try renaming one of those backup files to the xorg.conf file. Ie (sudo cp xorg.conf xorg.conf2, sudo cp xorg.conf_backupXXXX xorg.conf). Then reboot. This fixed my problem.
- Another option is to do a "sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg" and answer the question. If you don't know just use the default option.
- Or you can probably boot from a live cd and if compiz works on the live cd just copy the xorg.conf file, reboot to your regular OS and overwrite the messed-up xorg.conf file.
Good luck!!

« ext2 vs ext3 vs ext4 | Can't run LiveCD or install Ubuntu »