Ubuntu Discussion on Ubuntu on the Dell Inspiron Mini range of netbooks.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  (#1) Old

Default *.deb installing - 10-23-2008, 03:31 AM

Hello Everyone,

I just got my Inspiron Mini today, and after fixing the drive size problem I started installing some of the packages I use on my other Ubuntu machines. Not all of the packages I use are on the repository so I downloaded the .deb files and tried to install them. I get the following message "Error: Wrong architecture 'i386'". Anyone have any idea how to get around this. I am assuming this is a Dell issue.
  (#2) Old

Default Re: *.deb installing - 10-23-2008, 05:47 AM

This is because the Dell Ubuntu is compiled for the lpia architecture (Low Power on Intel Architecture) as opposed to the standard 386 architecture. Expect most things from third-parties not to work since the DEBs are built for standard Ubuntu (386) ... This is actually quite annoying as users will want to/need to install DEBs outside of the main and dell repositories.
  (#3) Old

Send a message via AIM to jbloodwo
Default Re: *.deb installing - 10-23-2008, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakker.yak
This is because the Dell Ubuntu is compiled for the lpia architecture (Low Power on Intel Architecture) as opposed to the standard 386 architecture. Expect most things from third-parties not to work since the DEBs are built for standard Ubuntu (386) ... This is actually quite annoying as users will want to/need to install DEBs outside of the main and dell repositories.
you should be able to use
Code:
dpkg --force-architecture
this should work on most normal non kernel related packages.

Dell vostro 1400
Dell Mini 9 8 gig ssd 1 gig ram .3mp cam
powerbook G4 ( needs to be refreshed still on 10.4)
  (#4) Old

Default Re: *.deb installing - 10-24-2008, 10:59 PM

dude ive been googling and IRCing for a solution to this since the freakin day i got the mini. how come you're the only person on the internet that knew? lol thanks man
  (#5) Old

Send a message via AIM to jbloodwo
Default Re: *.deb installing - 10-24-2008, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsw
dude ive been googling and IRCing for a solution to this since the freakin day i got the mini. how come you're the only person on the internet that knew? lol thanks man
I can't take all the credit i thought i saw it here or at the ubuntu forums.. but it is easer to search for the option that will make it work when you know what the option.

Dell vostro 1400
Dell Mini 9 8 gig ssd 1 gig ram .3mp cam
powerbook G4 ( needs to be refreshed still on 10.4)
  (#6) Old

Default Re: *.deb installing - 10-25-2008, 09:49 PM

You can easily repackage any deb outside the repos into an lpia one. And really there aren't many. The reason you want lpia packages instead of forcing the i386, is that while the former will show up as an installed package on Synaptics, the later won't, so good luck uninstalling it. For example here's the directions to convert the stock i386 package for Skype into an lpia package:

1. Download the Ubuntu version of Skype
2. Use the Archive manager to uncompress it. Alternatively, right click on the deb package and select "extract here"
3. Rename the uncompressed folder, by changing the ending from i386 to lpia. (the folder should be now named: skype-debian_2.0.0.72-1_lpia)
4. Open the folder
5. There are 3 files. remove the debian-binary file
6. Decompress control.tar.gz. There are tree files in it.
7. Make a folder "DEBIAN" in the main folder, and placed the 3 files you just decompressed inside it.
8. Open one of the files inside DEBIAN, "control". Change the line "Architecture: i386" into "Architecture: lpia"
9. Open the other archive data.tar.gz. There is a folder "." inside. Open it (double click). Select both the folders (usr and etc) and select uncompress.
10. Remove the files control.tar.gz and data.tar.gz
11. You should now have your main folder with the following inside:
DEBIAN folder with tree text files in it (conffiles, control, md5sums); a "usr" folder and a "etc" folder.
12. You are now ready to prepare your lpia deb folder.
13. From the command line, go to the folder that contains your main skype folder you just prepared (most likely named: skype-debian_2.0.0.72-1_lpia).
14. type: dpkg --build skype-debian_2.0.0.72-1_lpia
15. Your deb package is ready. Double click on it and follow instruction. After installation it should appear in Synaptic, and from there you can remove it at any time.
16. Enjoy!!!

Besides, I made a bunch of backports from standard Ubuntu repositories, all working great in my mini once packaged as lpia.
  (#7) Old

Default Re: *.deb installing - 11-11-2008, 10:26 PM

The updated version of gdebi also will install i386 packages under lpia automatically, but you'll need to get it from the dell mini notebook-remix repo rather than the dell mini notebook-base repo. (I'm not sure why Canonical put a bunch of normal system package updates there: ?) Adding the repos updates pretty much every package on the system (probably not really, but it is a *lot*), though; you might want to get the deb file from here:
http://dell-mini.archive.canonical.c...tbook1_all.deb

That should work; I went ahead and did the massive update, though, so I'm not sure. Everything seems to work fine after the update (I suspect if you don't choose to keep your GDM file auto-login will break if you have it enabled), except "Switch Desktop Mode" was moved to be under System>Preferences in the app menu instead of being available in the main part.

After getting the updated version of gdebi, I can install things like skype just by opening the .deb package. I wonder why it didn't ship with the mini, or at least be included in the normal update branch...
  (#8) Old

Default Re: *.deb installing - 11-12-2008, 08:53 PM

Sorry for the extreme newb question, but what do I do now? I followed these instructions, then downloaded the Ubuntu version of Skype, extracted it to my drive - but now how do I install it, or add it to Synaptics ( I thought I already did that but it doesn't show?)

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Joe
  (#9) Old

Send a message via AIM to onefish2
Default Re: *.deb installing - 11-12-2008, 09:29 PM

Syanptic is the GUI front end for Apt. No need for Synaptic. You already downloaded it. You just need to install it.

Just double click it and gDebi will install it.

Obsidian Mini9 - Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex 8.10 with Netbook Remix, 8GB SSD, 2GB RAM, 4GB SD, Bluetooth, 1.3 Webcam
Lifestreaming @ http://www.ExploitTheSystem.com | Blogging @ http://www.onefish2.com
  (#10) Old

Default Re: *.deb installing - 11-12-2008, 09:36 PM

I'll try to get by with one more question before I try your patience! Click on "what"? I click on the single file that I downloaded, and it opens it in an archive manager, and asks me where I want to extract it to. Then I have a couple of folders and a file (all of which I've double-clicked on with no results).

I very much appreciate your help.

Joe

« Installing Skype on Ubuntu | Dell Sources with 8.10? »