Ubuntu Discussion on Ubuntu on the Dell Inspiron Mini range of netbooks.

(#1) Old
Default GRUB issue, multibooting on my Dell Mini - 02-26-2009, 06:24 PM

Hello, I just received my netbook that came installed with Dell Ubuntu yesterday and I decided I wanted to install Intrepid on it as well. So I resized the partition and installed on the free space on the drive, which I then resized and moved. Now, I do get a GRUB menu, but I can't get the Intrepid install to load. I get an error 13 Invalid unsupported or executable format when I select it. here's a paste of what the menu.list that the GRUB is reading off of. http://pastebin.com/d594226c

I have used GRUB before but this is a new issue to me. So if any body has any insight please help me out. Let me know if there's other info I need to provide. Thank you.

EDIT: I just wanted to update that I did fix this issue somewhat indirectly because I had to reinstall XP anyway. Oh well.

(#2) Old
Default Re: GRUB issue, multibooting on my Dell Mini - 02-26-2009, 06:44 PM

get rid of chainloader +1 under the intrepid one

Black Mini 9 Dual Boot XP and Win7 build 7022 with 32gb Runcore
Asus P5B/7600GT/E6600/Sonata 2/Windows 7 build 7022
  (#3) Old
Default Re: GRUB issue, multibooting on my Dell Mini - 02-26-2009, 06:59 PM

It might be that the UUID entry points to a wrong or non-existant partition. To get all the UUID's on your system listed, start a terminal and type "blkid". Ubuntu Intrepid uses this distinct number to identify a partition instead of the /dev/sdxy string. And not to forget: "sudo update-grub" after any modification of /boot/grub/menu.lst is mandatory. Hope that will help.

« Mplayer doesnt work here | ACK! Both Taskbars are gone! Please Help! »