Ubuntu Discussion on Ubuntu on the Dell Inspiron Mini range of netbooks.

(#1) Old
Default Wireless Connection - stumped - 02-16-2009, 06:57 AM

I'm having trouble trying to figure what I'm doing wrong. I have the 8.04 Ubuntu that came stock with Dell.

I have a unbroadcasted SSID wireless network that all my other computers can connect to with no problems. With the Mini, I have to manually connect to it each time. Kind of a pain, but OK, I can deal. The problem that has me stumped is that I have to input my WPA2 key about 5 times - the "Passphrase Required..." window literally pops up every 10 seconds for about a minute (and yes I am typing the passphrase in correctly each time).

I don't mind having to connect each time I start this thing up, but does anyone know what I'm doing wrong with respect to having to go through this ordeal EVERY time.

My second question (possibly related to the above) is that I have my Wireless Connection set to Automatic. Is there a reason I can't manually put in my settings and have Ubuntu boot up using the networking information provided. I can only get access if using the Automatic mode (and then I have the problems listed above regarding having to type my key in like 5 times). If I manually put in the SSID, etc I can never get a connection. Is this related to the fact the SSID is unbroadcasted?

Thanks for any info anyone can supply....verrrrry irritated with something that should be relatively straightforward.
  (#2) Old
Default Re: Wireless Connection - stumped - 02-16-2009, 07:36 AM

I haven't used a hidden SSID for a very long time, since it's security merits are apparently non-existent (according to people more knowledgeable than me).

I have heard previous reports that Network Manager (the program that connects you to wifi) does struggle with hidden SSID, although whether that remains a consistent problem with the NM0.6 version in Ubuntu 8.04, I'm uncertain.

It might be worth researching the merits of hidden SSID, and then reviewing the necessity to hide it on your network. If you want to keep it, Wicd http://wicd.net/ might be a useful alternative to look at. It is officially only available as an i386 from their repository, but it can be installed by downloading and double-clicking the latest stable _all.deb from http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...kage_id=229460
The System Tray (notification area) applet is launched with: wicd-client (you can add this to the Sessions autostarted applications list)

Beware that Wicd will uninstall Network Manager though - so you might want to download Network Manager first to allow you to reinstall it if you don't like Wicd:
sudo apt-get install --reinstall -d network-manager network-manager-gnome
You can then reinstall NM with:
sudo apt-get install network-manager-gnome

« Vodafone Huawei 172 Modem Connection + Ubuntu 8.04 | Linux DVD player »