Ubuntu Discussion on Ubuntu on the Dell Inspiron Mini range of netbooks.

(#1) Old
Default wireless networking problems - 02-06-2009, 07:24 PM

OK, so I have been struggling with this, and haven't been able to get it. I have a dell mini with Ubuntu as it came from Dell, the only thing I have done is upgrade the bios to 04 (which I have been told I should have left it at 01, but I had planned on installing windows for my sister, and she wanted linux) and upgraded the ram to a 2GB stick. The trouble is connecting to my wireless network at home, it is a Netgear WPN824 router and is set up with WEP PSK. When I disable security I can connect, but not while it is enabled. I have it set up for automatic detection, put in the password and select the correct algorithm and it just won't connect. Can anyone recommend something I could do? Also I am unfortunately clueless in linux.

edit: of course right after I post this I figured it out, changed the security to aes on my router, and now all works (for now) I just hope I don't see it dropping the connection like it was before.
  (#2) Old
Default Re: wireless networking problems - 02-14-2009, 12:18 AM

Nope that should do it, without that the wep won't work right.
  (#3) Old
Default can't connect to home networks - 07-06-2009, 12:03 AM

Can you say a little more about what aes is? My router (SMC) seems to only have WPA and EPA. I've had no trouble with Windows laptops connecting wirelessly on my home network. But when a friend who has a mini-9 ubuntu tries to connect to her home or my home network, the system keeps re-asking for a password. Entering the pw that works for Windows laptops doesn't work for the mini. However, it works fine with public networks around town.

Has anybody seen this problem before?

« inbuilt wwan power management | Fresh Install 8.10 - No sound/camera »