Ubuntu Discussion on Ubuntu on the Dell Inspiron Mini range of netbooks.

(#1) Old
Default Problem accessing windows drive w/ 8.10 - 02-06-2009, 05:32 PM

I recently bought a USB thumb drive with the hope of dual booting WinXP and Ubuntu. I used UNetbootin to setup an 8gb USB thumb drive with the 8.10 ISO. I then went in and downloaded the patch to add the persistence file casper.rw from the sourceforge web page. Everything works out on the first boot. I go ahead and set up my network, make the edits to get the sound card to work, copy my mozilla profile over, etc.

When I go to reboot, I get the standard shut down message, telling me to remove all media. I then wind up getting a bunch of I/O errors for the remainder of the reboot until the system POST's again. From then on out, I can no longer access my Windows ssd drive or the card reader. When I try to access the drives, it gives me a message about the drives being already mounted in /media. When I go to /media, it is empty.

I've done this about three times and everytime I get those I/O errors on reboot, I'm forced to wipe the thumb drive, and run UNetbootin again so I can get access to my other drives again.

I've tried a few other methods at

but all methods seem to get me to a point that if I have persistence, I can't access my built in drives anymore. I've been able to force access to my sdd drive at times by creating a folder in /media and then force mounting it to that folder but other times I wind up getting the message that the drive is already mounted.

Any help would be appreciated.

Dell Mini 9 / Obsidian Black / 2 GB Crucial RAM / Runcore 32 GB SDD / Gigabyte N300 WiFi
Dual Boot Win 7 Home Premium / OSX 10.6.2

« Ubuntu 8.10 Bluetooth Problem | Wired networking now broken in Intrepid 8.10 »