Ubuntu Discussion on Ubuntu on the Dell Inspiron Mini range of netbooks.

(#1) Old
Lightbulb MacGyver moment - 10-14-2008, 08:54 PM

I ordered a 16 GB SSD with my Mini 9, but the schmucks at Dell only partitioned 3.5 Gigs worth. They left the remainder totally unpartitioned and unusable. I fired up GParted to see if there was anything I could do, but it wouldn't let me unmount the system drive while Ubuntu was running.

I didn't order an external drive, so I couldn't use the bootable Ubuntu DVD to repartition the drive.

The MacGyver moment: I dug up an 8 year old 6x CD-RW drive with a missing faceplate, hooked it up to a spare power supply for juice, and then used an IDE to USB adapter I had lying around to connect it to the Dell. That wouldn't let me boot to the DVD, but fortunately I had a previous version of Ubuntu on CD-ROM so I booted to it, then used GParted to resize the partition. I shut down, unhooked the frankenCD, and restarted the Dell.

Bingo! I now have the full amount of space available, minus Dell's utility partition, of course. I left it alone.

Dell Mini 9, 2GB RAM, 64GB SSD, 1.3MP camera, Bluetooth, Ubuntu 8.10
  (#2) Old
Default Re: MacGyver moment - 10-14-2008, 09:18 PM

(#3) Old
Default Re: MacGyver moment - 10-14-2008, 10:29 PM

You had a "IDE to USB" adapter just lying around?

That's scary.

I was trying to create a USB boot drive but I have to download the damned ubuntu disk again.

They should make a "Just-copy-all-this-crap-to-your-thumb-drive-and-boot-from-there" version for us n00bs.

I don't want to compile a custom kernal. I just want to use a Cool free OS. :|

Alpine White, 1Mb, 16Gb SSD, 1.3Mp webcam, Stock Mini Ubuntu. (Oh yeah, and bluetooth)
  (#4) Old
Default Re: MacGyver moment - 10-14-2008, 10:43 PM

I think I'm in the same boat as you here. I ordered the 8GB drive, but it looks like I only have a total of 3.4.... Good going Dell! Guess I need the optical drive ;(

« Can you have user switching in the ubuntu on the Dell Mini 9 | Linux on 4 gig SD card? »