Ubuntu Discussion on Ubuntu on the Dell Inspiron Mini range of netbooks.

(#1) Old
Default Problem Adding Program Launcher to Panel - 01-17-2009, 11:11 PM

I would like to add a few program launcher to the panel. Doing so is relatively straight forward. However, when I change desktop modes (e.g., changing from the Dell Desktop to the Classic Desktop) the program launcher icons I added disappear. If I change back to the original desktop mode (e.g., Classic Desktop back to the Dell Desktop) the launcher icons I added are still gone.

I lock the program launchers to the panel and as long as I do not change desktop modes the program icons remain on the panel as they should. The only time they disappear is when I change desktop modes. What am I doing wrong ???
  (#2) Old
Default Re: Problem Adding Program Launcher to Panel - 01-17-2009, 11:31 PM

I think this is probably a bug: https://bugs.launchpad.net/netbook-remix/+bug/275206

Apparently it has been fixed... but only in version 0.3.2. Unfortunately, the default Dell Hardy repository has version 0.3.0

I've just tried it - and you are right. Most of the panel is returned as previously, but my custom launcher was replaced by a blank application launcher too.

No solution other than an unofficial upgrade to Intrepid (or possibly even Jaunty).
  (#3) Old
Default Re: Problem Adding Program Launcher to Panel - 01-24-2009, 10:06 AM

I would personally recommend not using Dell's launcher bit. If you really like a netbook style interface and you'd like one that makes the dell one look ugly take a gander at Ubuntu-Eee

Netbooks -> Mini 9 - 2gb Gskill low latency - Ubuntu 8.04
Asus Eee 701 4g - 1gb - Ubuntu 8.04.1
Desktops -> Phenom Quad @ 2.8 - 16gb - 4x Raptor X in RAID 0 - 2x 4870X2
Brisbane 1.9 @ 2.7 - 4gb - 80gb
Many others, all Linux.

« need help with streaming radio | Ubuntu 8.04.2 LTS for Mini 9 ? »