Ubuntu Discussion on Ubuntu on the Dell Inspiron Mini range of netbooks.

(#1) Old
Default No WiFi on Dell Mini 1010! - 12-26-2010, 05:37 PM

Hi. I just installed Ubuntu on my dell mini 1010 with no previous knowledge of linux. It started up and is working fine but I have no internet. When I try to see the available networks it says: device not ready (firmware missing)
Does anybody know what I need to do? Do I need to download Firmware?

Here are my specs:
Dell Mini 1010 (more specific here: Dell Inspiron Mini Series - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My Ubuntu version is 10.10 netbook remix.

---------- Post added at 12:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:29 PM ----------

P.S. I also read something about my GMA 500 graphics chip being slow with Linux... Any fixes for that? Thanks again!

---------- Post added at 12:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:31 PM ----------

I also discovered my sound isn't working! I probably should have thought more before I did this....
  (#2) Old
Default 12-26-2010, 05:43 PM

The Mini 1010 may come with a Broadcom WiFi card. The drivers aren't always automatically activated in Ubuntu. I usually just install the "bcmwl-kernel-source" package (bcmwl = broadcom wireless). One way to install is to connect via a wired then run "sudo apt-get install bcmwl-kernel-source" in a terminal.

I don't have any personal experience with the GMA500 in the 1010, but I can give you a link which may help: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupp...oCardsPoulsbo/.

As for sound, try running a mixer program and making sure nothing's muted. I use "alsamixer" in a terminal. Then arrow key through the controls, hitting "m" to toggle muting.

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
  (#3) Old
Default 12-26-2010, 06:45 PM

Thanks! I was able to get internet and I'm about to attempt video. Turns out there is sound. Thanks once again!

« Dell mini comes, and questions too... | how to partition hard drive for Mini 9. 910 »