Ubuntu Discussion on Ubuntu on the Dell Inspiron Mini range of netbooks.

(#1) Old
Default Custom Screen Off Script - 01-13-2009, 09:43 PM

As well as the Mini 9, I also own an Asus Eee 901. One of the little features I really like about it which the Mini 9 lacks is the ability to turn off the display with a single button. This feature is really useful if you are nipping away from the machine and want to conserve the battery life without waiting for the screen saver or locking the OS. I had a quick scout about on Google and found a simple script to achieve what I wanted. I then simply created a custom launcher button with an icon and added it to the Ubuntu task bar. If anyone else is interested in such a feature; the steps are listed below:

1. Open a terminal window and type:

sudo gedit
2. Enter your admin password.

3. In the text editor window, enter the following script:

# Custom script to turn off the display without locking the system
# or activating the system screensaver.

#! /bin/bash
/usr/bin/xset -display :0.0 dpms force off
4. Save the as in /etc/customscripts/ScreenOff.sh

5. Close the text editor and return to the terminal window.

6. Enter the following code to make the new script file executable:

sudo chmond +x /etc/customscripts/ScreenOff.sh
7. Close the terminal window and right click on the main taskbar. Select the Add to Panel menu option.

8. Double-click on the Custom Application Launcher option and enter the following code in the command field:

9. Click on OK and the new button will be created. Clicking on this will force the screen to blank until a you next move the mouse or press a key but the screen saver will not be activated and the OS will not be locked. It's fairly basic, but I find it very useful. Obviously I cannot be held responsible if this causes any problems and I suggest that you do this at you own risk but I can confirm that it works like a charm on my Mini 9 running the Dell Ubuntu Remix.

(#2) Old
Default Re: Custom Screen Off Script - 01-14-2009, 09:02 PM

works nice, nice idea, thanks!

« Ubuntu Restore image for Mini 12 | opera »