Ubuntu Discussion on Ubuntu on the Dell Inspiron Mini range of netbooks.

(#1) Old
Default how to partition hard drive for Mini 9. 910 - 11-21-2010, 01:53 PM

I want to install Ubuntu desktop 10.10 on my mini 9 (16 GB SSD, W GB RAM). Should I partition the hard drive or just give Ubuntu on the entire 16 GB drive?

I will be upgrading to 2 GB RAM. Next week when my memory module arrives. Should Ubuntu handle the memory change without a problem?

(#2) Old
Default 11-21-2010, 03:11 PM

Normally, I like having 2 or 3 partitions for Linux. A system partition and a user partition (mounted at /home) and maybe a swap partition. But 16GB can be tight for a multi-partition setup.

On my 1012 with a 16GB SSD, I went with a single 12GB partition. I left the rest unused in the hope that reserving some space will reduce SSD performance degradation over time.

I also have the future option of changing the free space into swap, or growing the 12GB partition if needed. But my 1012 has 2GB of RAM and I don't hibernate, so I don't need swap. And I don't keep large media files on the SSD, so 12GB is plenty.

When you install your new RAM, the BIOS might state: "System config changed" or something, but Ubuntu won't care. I would run a memtest from the Ubuntu boot menu before booting into Ubuntu, though. Make sure that the new RAM works 100%.

I hope you enjoy your Mini 9

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
  (#3) Old
Send a message via Skype™ to oznola
Default 12-27-2010, 10:46 PM

as a counterpoint to reflex i use the entire disk as recommended for guided install by the 10.10 installer. this is my practice with a 30gb ssd.

also, i have read that no one has been able to duplicate the alleged performance erosion of the ssd.

you might wait until you install the ram upgrade to install 10.10 or reinstall ubuntu once you put the new memory into the machine because the installer does consider the hardware inventory when computing the recommended partition sizes.

either way you choose to setup your partitions you should be good to go.

~alonzo, mini 9, run by ubuntu 10.10 netbook remix, 1gb ram, 30gb ssd, 1.5gb swap space, web cam, Bluetooth ,,, it runs ~real~ good!

mini 9, partition

« No WiFi on Dell Mini 1010! | No Video on Mini 1010 (Ubuntu Version 10.10, maverick) »