Ubuntu Discussion on Ubuntu on the Dell Inspiron Mini range of netbooks.

(#1) Old
Default Dell Sources with 8.10? - 01-09-2009, 07:57 PM

So I installed 8.10 netbook remix and I like it alot.. the main reason I installed it is because of how well tethering works with my htc fuze, 8.04 was a headache... Anyways.. i'm wondering if im missing out on anything in the Dell software sources since they are no longer included in the source list? Would adding them in screw up 8.10 or are there specific ones for the 8.10 release? im still new to this stuff... I kinda wanted to have the Stock look with all the icons and software that ship with dell.. (idk OCD i guess? haha) but with the 8.10 upgrade for its nice features... Just wondering whats possible.

(#2) Old
Send a message via Yahoo to GerallK
Default Re: Dell Sources with 8.10? - 01-10-2009, 12:49 AM

I would not include the original Dell repositories.

The repositories for one version of an OS are not necessarily compatible with other versions. Specifically, the Dell repository is compiled for the Low Power Intel Architecture (lpia), while the the "normal" Ubuntu repos are built for standard i386 hardware.

Beyond how they are built, they might also require different versions of system libraries.

There's a thread here in the Ubuntu forum where someone packed up the original Dell wallpapers in a .zip file - You could download that and set the theme to the 8.04.1 default if you're into the aesthetics. It would be much safer than trying to mix repositories!

Obsidian Mini 9 > 2gb ram, 16gb ssd, bluetooth, 1.3mp webcam, us-intl kbd
Internal Mods > usb hub, 16gb flash drive, 8gb flash drive, added webcam, changed kbd
Software Mods > Dellbuntu 8.04.1 | Gentoo 2008.0
  (#3) Old
Default Re: Dell Sources with 8.10? - 01-11-2009, 12:23 AM

Alright thanks for clearing that up! What about the stock programs and icons? stuff from the education tab, and other links?

« *.deb installing | Other K-12 educators? »