Ubuntu Discussion on Ubuntu on the Dell Inspiron Mini range of netbooks.

(#1) Old
Default Trouble Upgrading from preloaded Ubuntu 8.04 to 10.04 - 09-04-2010, 04:01 AM

I am new to Ubuntu. So when I want to upgrade I went to the website and gave directions on how to upgrade. It said that when I run the update manager it will notify me of an available upgrade and all I have to do is follow the prompt. Well, I have ran the update manager several times and it does not! Also after installing updates, my browser application doesn't work. I don't know the right command to input. Please help before I defenestrate this Dell Mini 10!
  (#2) Old
Default 09-05-2010, 12:20 AM

I followed the instructions for the Netbook version of 10.04 making a 1 GB thumb drive & changing the bios so it would boot from the thumb drive 1st.

Right now you can not even connect to the internet? I'm not sure what happened there. You can make a thumb drive copy of 10.04 with another computer & do a clean install. Use this link, Download | Ubuntu

| Dell Mini 10v | Linux Lite |
  (#3) Old
Default 09-05-2010, 01:31 AM

Normally, you can upgrade inplace from 8.04 to 10.04, but the Dell pre-installed Ubuntu isn't normal. It may/should be possible, but I expect backing up your user files, then installing 10.04 fresh will be better/easier. You probably will need to install the Broadcom WiFi driver afterwards.

As for the browser not working, do you mean it won't start? Start a terminal, then run "firefox". What error messages appear?

Or do you mean that you can't reach websites? Try running "ping -w 4 yahoo.com" in a terminal. Ping is a simple program that contacts a server and waits for a response. Does ping succeed?

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit

ubuntu, upgrade

« cant reset password on dell mini 9 | Mic on Lucid no longer working. »