Ubuntu Discussion on Ubuntu on the Dell Inspiron Mini range of netbooks.

(#1) Old
Default Pre-Boot Disk Encryption - 01-08-2009, 10:01 PM

Considering its size and my paranoia, I am looking for a way to encrypt my mini9 running 8.10. I usually go with TrueCrypt because it allows me to work seamlessly with Windows, OS X, and Linux. However, my company recently started mandating that we use Safeboot (McAfee), and I rather like it. It is full-disk pre-boot encryption, i.e., you have to enter the decrypt password to get to the bootloader and load an OS.

My two big features are pre-boot and hidden containers (plausible deniability). Looking here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison ... n_software it would appear that BestCrypt supports both of these (although not unfortunately OS X). However, looking at BestCrypt's website I don't see any mention of pre-boot support for Linux.

Anyone out there familiar with this type of thing and have recommendations? Thanks!
  (#2) Old
Default Re: Pre-Boot Disk Encryption - 01-10-2009, 02:54 AM

TrueCrypt does full disk encryption, encrypting even the MBR.
TrueCrypt also does invisible containers and even separate boot environments for separate passwords, providing the option of having a "clean" OS to show when coerced into giving up a password.

There is no valid reason to use anything else. Ever.

« stop windows from opening maximized | F-Spot crashes on Pcasa Upload »