Ubuntu Discussion on Ubuntu on the Dell Inspiron Mini range of netbooks.

(#1) Old
Default rar executable - 08-09-2010, 12:58 AM

I would like to be able to unpack .rar files. I have installed many different archivers from synaptic but none work so I think I am missing some more basic library sort of files. Or maybe this special version of Dell Ubunto is quirky with them. I am running 8.04 that came with the machine because I am too scared to upgrade...

After reading up on this a bit I realize I am out of my depth and could really use some guidance.

Any advice appreciated thanks!
  (#2) Old
Default 08-09-2010, 01:38 AM

On normal Ubuntu, it'd be the the "unrar" package. And I'd just run "sudo apt-get install unrar" in a terminal to install it (or use Synaptic or whatever). But it might be missing from the "Dellbuntu" shipped with the Mini.

You could try downloading the i386/32bit package file (.deb) for normal Ubuntu 8.04 here: Ubuntu -- Details of package unrar in hardy. Then double-click on the .deb to install it (I think), or run "sudo dpkg -i whatever.deb" in a terminal.

Downloading a single .deb package to install usually won't work, since you'll probably be missing the other necessary packages, but "unrar" is a pretty simple one. And if "unrar" doesn't work with this procedure, you can just uninstall it with normal package management software.

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
  (#3) Old
Default 09-12-2010, 08:31 PM

for anyone else with this issue i just did what he said above on the first few lines and things started to work perfectly!

« Latest firefox update breaks firefox | Wireless drivers working, but won't connect »