Ubuntu Discussion on Ubuntu on the Dell Inspiron Mini range of netbooks.

(#1) Old
Default Disable touch sensitive buttons on Mini10v - 02-22-2010, 10:03 PM

Hi guys, I have a weird problem with my new Dell Mini10v touchpad. I am running Ubuntu Netbook Remix 9.10. On the Mini10v, Dell made the right click and left click buttons part of the touchpad, and they are also touch sensitive. This makes it impossible to hold left click to highlight text, drag and drop, etc. If you are holding left click and touch anywhere else on the pad, the cursor will shoot to the top of the screen. From searching this doesn't seem to be a problem for most people once the correct driver is installed.

I have the correct driver installed (xorg-input-synaptic). Now what makes my problem really weird is this: It works absolutely correct half the time. The buttons will not be touch sensitive, and it works perfectly. But the other half of the time it will be as described in the first paragraph, with sensitive buttons. It changes after reboots, and shutdowns. It is completely random. Sometimes I have to restart 4 or 5 times to get it working right again. Then sometimes it wont be a problem for a few sessions. Why would it work sometimes, and not others?

I have tried using "synclient BottomEdge=XXXX", but it doesnt seem to do anything. "XXXX" is anything between 2000 - 100000. Nothing seems to effect the touch sensitive areas. SHMConfig is enabled.

So for some reason, something is loading correct on half of my loadups, and the rest of the time, something is not loading correctly. This problem has persisted after many reformats/installations. Any ideas on what is going on?

(#2) Old
Default 02-24-2010, 09:43 PM

I dunno. Try running "synclient -m 250" to monitor the touchpad (every 250ms), then perform some of the troublesome touch inputs and see what it says.

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit

« Installing Japanese Input in Karmic NBR | Video Players don't work as expected »